Test my bandwidth

darraghdog

Hi Folks,
I have the 3mbs NTL cable package. I just did a check on my bandwidth on a "Check my bandwidth" page (www.bandwidthplace.com). It said I had about 400kbs... does this sound right ? Would you think there's a problem with my set up.
I use VOIP so it's important that I get good bandwidth.
Thanks,
Darragh.
P.s. I was downloading at the time I did the check, and my laptop is about three years old, so I'm not sure if that influences the results...

Also, make sure your machine is not downloading or running anything intensive when doing the check.

Thanks guys, it came in at a more respectable 1.96Mbps download and 193 kbps upload on http://speedtest.ie. Still not at the 3Mbps that NTL provide, although thephone is on now, maybe that affects it to some degree... any other ideas how to max it, or do those numbers sound normal ?

Looks pretty normal - the rates ntl quote are the max possible and not what you can expect after contention

Am on UTV 2M line & the measurement came in at 1.69M...ovre a wireless network

As boskonay says - contention ratios are also pertinent here when working out what is a "reasonable" speed.

Also ntl and utv don't currently peer at inex.ie - so they will show worse latency than the other carriers

Does this mean that they are effectively second class ISPs and have to pass the data on to somebody else who does peer at the INEX level? Even if that is the case on the technical side of matters I (as a UTV end user) don't really notice it as anything that causes any problems day to day. Of course, I don't really do stuff that depends on low latencies (gaming etc.).

Well, NTL are shortly bringing up their INEX peering and UTV are not memebers, nor do they intend becoming one afaik. It just means traffic from ntl or utv at the moment, routes via the UK, which impacts latency and performance.

Guys i have ntl 6mb -getting 2.07mbps and 471 kbps upload -most i saw once was 5 aprox mbps -average 2-3mbps.
this ok?

What does Quality of Service mean at speedtest.ie?

I tried it twice and got 22% the first time and 74% on the second.

europhile said:
What does Quality of Service mean at speedtest.ie?

I tried it twice and got 22% the first time and 74% on the second.
[broken link removed] uses VisualWare's MySpeed Java applet bandwidth/speed tester. Documentation on the QoS figures reported is available here.

Surely you can understand
Code:
   minimum speed
  ————————————— = Quality of Service
  maximum speed
and the fact that the higher the percentage reported the better!?

Also:
DSL: On a DSL connection, you can expect to see a consistently high QOS number (when you are the only person using the DSL connection). If you don't, contact your DSL provider to file a problem report.
Note that if you are not a Hosting365 customer then testing against their server (www.speedtest.ie) may not be as meaningful as testing against your own ISP's servers.

I understand that all right! I can't understand why 22% and then 74% a couple of minutes laster.

What ISP are you on? Do they provide any bandwidth tester or FTP site of their own? It could be explained by contention ratio - e.g. on a 3Mbps 6:1 link the speed could legitimately vary between 3Mbps and 3Mbps/6 = 512Kbps (depending on how many users are simultaneously using the connection) giving a QoS figure of c. 17% and not be a sign of any problem.