Tescos carbon footprint?

E

Elphaba

Strawberries for sale in TESCO all the way from USA, about 2 dozen in a plastic container. Just think of all the energy wasted in airmiles, production of plastic containers etc....All for a profit. In fairness they sell irish ones as well, in a plastic container but only 7 or 8 strawberries in it. I'd eat 7 on my own. Why cant they sell them loose, and have them weighed, in a plain ole
brown bag. I bought a strawberyy plant in Lildls the other day, just have to figure how to grow it...

That kind of stuff bugs me too; I used to buy "fresh" herbs in Tesco until I noted that some of them were being produced in Israel and even further afield; now I purchase my herbs from a local green grocer and they are grown in County Dublin!

Why cant they sell them loose, and have them weighed, in a plain ole
brown bag.

Because strawberries bruise.

Strawberries for sale in TESCO all the way from USA, about 2 dozen in a plastic container. Just think of all the energy wasted in airmiles, production of plastic containers etc....All for a profit.

If you don't buy the USA ones then they'll stop stocking them.

Strawberries for sale in TESCO all the way from USA, about 2 dozen in a plastic container. Just think of all the energy wasted in airmiles, production of plastic containers etc....All for a profit.

Do you expect them to sell them for a loss? If they did do you think that this would reduce their carbon footprint?

The distance a product has traveeled and its carbon footprint do not necessarily correlate. Around Valentines day, roses brought in from Kenya or South africa have a lower carbon footprint than those brought in from Europe or grown locally because they don't need to be grown in heated greenhouses.

A little off topic but there was an article in the Times last week and apparently a cow has a bigger carbon footprint than a Land Rover.

Do you expect them to sell them for a loss? If they did do you think that this would reduce their carbon footprint?

Of course not...just sell local stuff. We've all these companies pointing the finger at us to reduce our carbon footprint, whats tesco doing, I ask you?
Its the unneccesary plastic packaging that gets me. I will bring said plastic container for recycling, it will most likely be flown all the way to the far east, and then exported to the states for it to start all over again. As for cows in 4X4's...now thats another story...

Of course not...just sell local stuff. We've all these companies pointing the finger at us to reduce our carbon footprint, whats tesco doing, I ask you?
Selling stuff that consumers buy?
Its the unneccesary plastic packaging that gets me. I will bring said plastic container for recycling
So why not do your own bit to reduce or reuse a bit more rather than blaming others?

Its the unneccesary plastic packaging that gets me. I will bring said plastic container for recycling, it will most likely be flown all the way to the far east, and then exported to the states for it to start all over again.
Why would they fly it to the far east? Most plastic is not recycled, that which can is recycled in Ireland or at furthest in Europe.

I think you'll find that a very large amount of irish recyclable plastics and other recyclable materials actually make their way to China to be reprocessed.

Selling stuff that consumers buy?

So why not do your own bit to reduce or reuse a bit more rather than blaming others?

Its got nothing to do with blame, its about our supermarkets taking more responsible decisions about the produce they stock and their packaging.
A lot of plastic packaging could be re used, rather than re cycled, for instance washing powder, dishwasher powder...if they had a section at tesco where you bring back your container and its refilled...Remember glass milk bottles...leave your empties out...By the way, spare a thought for the poor blokes in china who have to sort through all our smelly plastic, tetra packs and so on....theres no law governing hygiene in transporting goods for recycling...

A lot of plastic packaging could be re used, rather than re cycled, for instance washing powder, dishwasher powder...if they had a section at tesco where you bring back your container and its refilled...

So are you prepared to pay a number of times the current price for such a service? If so, I'd imagine you're in the minority.

By plane?
No, by ship, often used as ballast in ships returning to India/China from where we import more than we export. It's questionable how much of this material gets recycled.

Its got nothing to do with blame, its about our supermarkets taking more responsible decisions about the produce they stock and their packaging.
What about consumers making more responsible decisions about what they buy? There are lots of places where you can buy fruit and veg loose for example rather than buying prepackaged stuff in the supermarket.
A lot of plastic packaging could be re used, rather than re cycled, for instance washing powder, dishwasher powder...
Yes - but "reduce" is even better where possible. And in many cases it is regardless of what supermarkets may stock by default.
Indeed but I'd be more concerned about his lack of democratic and civil rights to be honest.

So are you prepared to pay a number of times the current price for such a service? If so, I'd imagine you're in the minority.

How could it be more expensive if they cut out the packaging? Its such a simple idea, bring and fill.....Everythings got so complicated...I think I'll just go down the bottom of the garden and eat worms...and tend my strawberries while I'm at it....

Its simple , next time you are in Tesco look around , someone buys everything you see... if they didn't it wouldn't be stocked...