Tesco visa credit card slow account updates

STEINER

Hi,

I have started to use my tesco visa a lot more recently as it doesnt cost me anything and I get clubcard vouchers every quarter as every €2 spent gives clubcard points. I might get €10 or €20 in vouchers or whatever, from booking hotels, flights, house/car insurance, various purchases etc

on Friday 8th July I paid off my €800 balance with a €900 transfer from my current a/c. I wanted to do a transaction the following week on or before Friday 15th July for about €600 and I'd get a handy €3 in clubcard vouchers for this in a month or two. Anyway I waited til Thursday morning to check balance etc. balance was fine ie. in credit by €100. I queried visa customer service, who told me yes we got the payment on 12th , we are just waiting on payment to fully clear. Even though my balance was €100 in credit my available credit was only €400 and naturally I wasnt pleased as I couldnt perform the €600 transaction. It was the same on Friday, the credit limit still hadnt reflected the €800 payment they received and I couldnt make my €600 purchase, had to use my laser instead as it was an insurance renewal due. Customer service told me that potentially the €800 payment could take another 6 days to clear and also that €800 was a lot bigger than my normal payments! If it was €80,000 then I would understand perhaps, but come on €800! It is very slow isnt it.......

Sounds very odd.

Was it an online transfer? I would expect that would be cleared funds and would be available as soon as it hit your account

Was the payment going to the UK?

I often transfer online between my AIB account and MBNA card, and can take up to 8 days.....

I did the error of paying my Tesco card via online transfer from PTSB in the early days and can confirm it takes ages to a.) hit the account and b.) made available as cleared. 8 days was the standard.

I started using billpay.ie (either via Visa Debit Card or Direct Debit) and now the money usualy hit my tesco account 1-2 day later and available as cleared the same day it hits.

Same for MBNA, online transfers take ages, billpay.ie is there next day.

I love billpay.ie and if there is ever a problem their customer service is absolutly outstanding.

yes agree with this..direct transfer can take 10 days to clear while bill pay is much much faster..

thanks for the info guys, must try out billpay. incidentally the banking online payment cleared fully on the tesco side on Wednesday 20th July having left my bank account on Friday 8th July!

yes agree with this..direct transfer can take 10 days to clear while bill pay is much much faster..

I have been happily using billpay.ie, now mybills.ie. its very fast. eg I paid 500 euro against tesco visa using it on 15th sept and this appears on my CC statement transaction posting date of 16th sept. interestingly mybills.ie didnt deduct the 500 from my current account until 20th sept. I did another payment sept 27th and was similar.