Tesco Top Up Faults €180 charge

roker

Copied from my post under Phones, DVDs, TV, Audio/Visual ( I thought it would be more appropriate here)
I tried to top up my wife’s Tesco mobile on line today using her debit card, I kept getting a message “Verification Failed” so I tried a few more times thinking I had the verified by Visa data information wrong, I then tried with my own card a few times with the same results. I then phoned Open 24 who informed me that I had €20 several times payment pending from Tesco amounting to €180. Nothing was added to the phone credit. TSB told me they cannot stop the transactions and to contact Tesco telling them to contact their merchant bank with the transaction numbers they gave me. Tesco told me that nothing could be done until after 3 working days to see if they pay or cancel the transactions.
Meanwhile through a fault on Tesco’s software, I have no credit on her phone, and my bank balance is down, if it was the minimum in my account the account would be blocked for the week end.
If I do not get satisfaction, does this come under the Financial Regulator or COMREG?

What "satisfaction" do you want?

A refund of the money, I presume. It is likely that you will get a refund of the money, just not as promptly as you would like.

If you have suffered some other loss as a result,e.g. a mortgage payment bouncing as a result of not having the money in your account, then you might need some interest refunded.

If you are unhappy with the solution, you complain to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

Brendan

The satisfaction is to fix their software so that it does not happen to others, thus this warning, and of course a prompt refund, no messing around

OK, if you think that it's a systemic error, then you do report it to the Central Bank.

But, hang on, Tesco doesn't have a banking license?

So report them to their credit card merchant supplier.

Brendan

The bank cannot stop this payment, they told me to tell Tesco to contact their Merchant Supplier with the transaction numbers they gave me. How do I find their Merchant Supplier? they said it is a pending transaction and I will not know until 23rd if it has paid

Back