Tesco nightmare

whatatodo

Apologies in advance if this question is in the wrong subject thread. 4 weeks ago while shopping in tescos, bleach spilled onto my new coat, and obviously bleached out a portion of the fabric. A member of staff witnessed the whole thing, saw it wasn’t my fault, and asked me to bring in the receipt for my coat, and I would be reimbursed, Sod’s law, I couldn’t find it, but took a screenshot of the coat from the website of the store I had purchased it in. I was told this would suffice, and they just needed clearance from head office. Numerous phone calls later, the same coat is no longer available, and Tesco are saying I need to leave the damaged coat with them before they will reimburse me, is this legal?

Legalities aside - as I don't know the answer.

But, it would seem reasonable to me to give them the damaged coat so that they can reimburse you. Why do you want to keep the damaged coat??

Legalities aside - as I don't know the answer.

But, it would seem reasonable to me to give them the damaged coat so that they can reimburse you. Why do you want to keep the damaged coat??
I agree, I wouldn’t have had a problem giving them the damaged coat, if they had acted promptly, and I could have actually replaced the coat, with the exact same one, but it’s now no longer available, it’s waterproof and very warm, the only one I have, and it seems unreasonable to expect me, to go without a coat, until a replacement can be found, I don’t drive, so a warm waterproof coat is a necessity.

Perhaps they only need to see the damaged coat and will photograph it on site and return it to you while they are sourcing a replacement or refund.

They already have a phot of the stain, and they have seen the actual coat, stain n’all instore more than twice.

For the love of mike..

Give them the coat; ask one of your siblings to lend you a coat for a few weeks if you don't have another one. Or go to your local charity shop and buy a secondhand coat for now.

For what it's worth, I think you have to decide what your actual endgame is, i.e. what do you want to have at the end of this? Then take emotion out of it, and state, in writing, what you want Tesco do to, e.g. I will bring in my coat and collect a cheque/cash at the same time for the amount of XXX, which represents the cost of purchasing said coat. Please suggest a mutually convenient time for this to take place.

Then at least Tesco can resolve the situation, forget about it, and you get the cost of the coat.

Anything else just gets in the way of the end result.

Last edited:
"Nightmare" might be overstating things. Somehow bleach marked your coat. Tesco will reimburse if you surrender the coat despite no receipt. That the coat is no longer available or you only have one or you don't drive are all irrelevant. It may be a Hobson's choice but it's your choice. Do what Buddyboy suggest above.

Just out of curiosity on my part but how exactly did bleach spill on to your coat in the store?

If I was shopkeeper and asked to pay for any coat, I would take the damaged on in, even to donate it to charity or dump it.

If I was the customer, I would have no problem handing over the coat to the shopkeeper.

Technically, this is an issue of how to calculate quantum.

OP's measure of loss, properly speaking, is the value of the coat at the time of loss less any salvage value.
If Tesco are prepared to give full value for the coat and take the salvage that is reasonable and gives OP a proper indemnity.
If OP was retaining the coat Tesco could seek a deduction for the salvage value.

Sorry to hear about your ‘Tesco nightmare’. I had my own ‘Supervalu holocaust’ recently; I was sent to buy Heinz full-fat ketchup but they only had that 50% stuff. Modern life can be tough sometimes. But I’m talking to a professional about it now and as the saying goes ‘2020’s another year’.

Give them the coat.. they will pay you.. end of story. Life too short to be fretting about this!
Unless you think you deserve more??

Very dissapointing thread....I thought it was going to involve Tesco and self service machines coming alive or something and we could all play therapist and have a go at trying to tell the OP what it meant.....

Back