terrestrial digital free to air receiver aerial

johnwilliams

looking at a terrestrial digital free to air receiver aerial in maplins and was wondering is it possible to receive these channels here in ireland (west coast) .thought you had to be in england to pick these channels up.
if i could pick the channels up here ,besides this aerial what other equipment would i need to get

looking at a terrestrial digital free to air receiver aerial in maplins and was wondering is it possible to receive these channels here in ireland (west coast) .thought you had to be in england to pick these channels up.
if i could pick the channels up here ,besides this aerial what other equipment would i need to get

I assume they'd be selling you the other bits too?

If not something like: LNB, Cable, Receiver (box), Tuner and alot of patience when tuning it in.

that should get you up and running, also it depends on what satellite it's aimed at. (I think "Astra 28.8 East" is the most common.)

I assume they'd be selling you the other bits too?

If not something like: LNB, Cable, Receiver (box), Tuner and alot of patience when tuning it in.

that should get you up and running, also it depends on what satellite it's aimed at. (I think "Astra 28.8 East" is the most common.)

OP is looking at terrestrial FTA, not satellite. So they just need an aerial and tuner.
Leo

Hi Johnwilliams.

I'm in Letterkenny and recently got an aerial installed. The installer said he was pointing the aerial at Limavady which broadcasts 50-50 in Analogue & Digital. We got a Freeview box off a mate and hooked it up to the aerial and bingo...freeview !!

You may not get it on the west coast as you're so far away from the nearest northern transmitter. You may need a booster as we did for normal analogue growing up in Roscommon.

Bottom line, It CAN be done, but you may be too far away to benefit.
Your best bet is to ring around the aerial installers and ask 'em.

I don`t think you will get terrestrial digital reception on the west coast and if you aren not very close to the border you won`t be able to get the Northern Ireland digital either because they do not transmit at high power like the analogue channels another option is satelite see my post on aerial guy v freeview

Back