Tenterfields, Dublin 8

M

Malteeser

Thinking of moving into a first floor apartment in the Tenterfields on South Brown Street off Cork Street and was wondering if anyone had any opinions or advice?

Thanks

Re: Tenterfields

Sorry yes should have been clearer, its Dublin 8. I would be cycling home around 9pm some nights and just wondering about the area and if anyone knows anything about the Tenterfields development itself?

Any advice appreciated!

hi malteser,
I lived in the tenterfields (the row of townhouses, not the apts) for 3 years, until around 2003. in retrospect, it was a quiet area, compared to the subsequent development I moved into. I don't have a recollection of seeing guards being called out or anti-social behaviour by the local kids..it was a newish developement at the time so I don't know how it has matured..as an area, again, I found it quiet. I subsequently moved to pearse street and I found the city centre alot dodgier at night..the coombe seemed safer to me..if you cycle, there is a grand cycle lane all the way to christchurch..hope this is of some help, even if it is 3 years out of date..
m.

Sorry yes should have been clearer, its Dublin 8. I would be cycling home around 9pm some nights and just wondering about the area and if anyone knows anything about the Tenterfields development itself?

Any advice appreciated!

Hi Malteeser. Lived in the area for years as well - and on the other side of Cork St. Had lots of friends living in the area too - Newmarket Sq, Blackpitts etc. It's a decent enough area but as with all inner-city areas you've got some dodgy characters(Theresa's Gardens and Chamber St flats are the biggest problem areas). But once we had an alarm fitted we never had any more trouble.

For convenience it's a fantastic place to live, you just have to make sure you take sensible precautions (eg don't leave your bike unlocked!!). And you also have one of the best pubs in Dublin on your doorstep (The Tenters).

I've recently sold my apartment in Tenterfields, having lived there since it was built in 1998. I was very happy there and I only moved because with a toddler that was moving beyond toddling onto running around at breakneck speed I needed more space.

The development is a good size in that it's small enough for you to get to know your neighbours and big enough to keep the the management agent busy (the current agent is excellent). There seems to be quite a high level of owner-occupiers, compared to other, larger, developments but recent years have seen the proportion of rented apartments in the building increase.

The location of the scheme is hard to beat, it's about a 5 minute cycle to Stephen's Green and is walkable to both Luas lines. The bus services along Cork street are among the most frequent in the city and each apartment has it's own assigned parking space. There is no designated visitor parking though.

I never experienced any security problems in all of my time there, I did take the usual precautions of not leaving anything valuable sitting in my car and I fitted extra locks to the apartment the day I moved in. That said I understand that there have been some security issues with ground and first floor apartments, particularly on the street side of the building. Apartments facing the courtyard are that bit more secure, along with the south facing aspect that makes that side of the building a bit more desireable (and about £5-10,000 more expensive when they were launched). If you're going to be cycling get a decent lock for your bike, they do tend to vanish, but that's true of anywhere in the city.

If there's anything else you'd like to know, ask away.

By the way, BigM - The Tenters closed it's doors for the last time about a fortnight ago. A sad loss, but Fallon's up the road is pretty decent too.

Thanks a million, I really appreciate all the advice.

By the way, BigM - The Tenters closed it's doors for the last time about a fortnight ago. A sad loss, but Fallon's up the road is pretty decent too.

That is sad news - I knew they had a Planning proposal in but didn't realise it was so soon!
But as you say, Fallons is also really good (esp the snug by the door) and does serve a great pint of Guinness...

hi!
I was wondering if you did move into the tenterfields, and if so, how are you finding it?