Tent recommendation

munsterman25

hi there

I want to purchase a tent, either a four man or three man. Would like a four man to fit three people ocassionally but mostly two, and some room for bags and that.
Am willing to spend some money and want good quality, sturdy, and one that will stand up to whatever the elements can throw at me.
Any recommendations

Columbia tents are excellent quality - I use them as patrol tents for scouts...bear in mind that for 4 people in comfort you really need a six man tent as you need room to dress/store gear etc.,

Also consider (for comfort) a tent you can stand up in, wouldn't bother with 'porches', the Columbia I've described would have enough space to take a chair/table inside to allow you play cards etc., when it's raining in the evenings.

I'm presuming you're looking in the leisure camping rather than adventure camping section. Have a look at the vango range.

If you want the ultimate tent that suits your description get a Yurt.

Not a big fan of vango I'm afraid; but some people are happy w. them, argos have the columbia 6 man - see link - they sold out pretty quickly last year so move fast if you want them.

So v. good for general camping accessories is o'meara camping.

In Cork there are tents for sale at Maher Sport in Parnell Place and at The Tent Shop off McCurtain Street

Hi,

Partner looking to go camping this year. Family is 2+2, dont want to buy new, so can anybody recommend a suitable tent and other mandatory equipment? (i.e, I'm a novice in camping terms!!!) Were can we buy second hand (i.e adverts.ie, others?)

Thanks

S.

Friends bought a new trailer tent some years ago, which also seem to hold their value well. It all packs up into a small trailer, which is easy to tow, and which can also carry other stuff tied down on top. But the best bit is that it opens up into a huge space, there are two bedrooms raised off teh floor (very handy when it rains heavily, trust me!), with extra sleeping space for other people underneath, HUGE kitchen and living space, with hanging wardrobe space, kitchen sink, gas cooker, the lot! When several families go camping, it tends to be the magnet/communal area for people to gather socially. More expensive than a tent, but much more versatile, and a good second-hand, relatively new one could be a good investment if you want to get a few summer weekends out of it over the years. Then sell it on when your needs change. We used one several times in the past too, and they were great. Well worth considering.

Nice idea, but I'd imagine my current license wouldn't cover a trailer of that weight, I'll check.

I guess if we got into it, it would be a good option, I'll see how this year goes first!!

S.

The trailer is relatively small, and light, you'd hardly know it's there! It's absolutely no problem towing it. If you have a full licence (and a tow-bar!) you're away! I guess it depends how much use you think you'll get out of it, and if you can store it somewhere dry. A tent stuffed into the corner of a garage may be easier to contemplate. I'd recommend checking them out first, eg, go to O'Meara's or Inny Camping or Charles Camping in Blessington (who are very knowledgeable and helpful). See them in the flesh, see if there are any good second-hand models, maybe even see if you could rent one for a weekend and see how you get on with it. A good family tent will be anything from a few hundred euros up, whereas a trailer tent can cost several thousands, but they are different animals, and they do hold their value well. Have fun checking them out.