Tenders for semi-state companies as a sole trader

messyleo

Guys
I have looked up the etenders website but could not find out if you can bid for semi-state tenders / contract work as a sole trader (once you have a tax clearance cert etc.) or if they only deal with limited companies?? Maybe I am looking in the wrong place - I'm sure the info must be there somewhere, does anyone know what the situation is??

Thanks a mill

Some contracts have minimum turnover requirements - this is a bit of a controversial area at present. They may require you to have existing turnover of a few hundred thousand, depending on the size of the contract being offered.

You'll really need to check every individual tender to see what they want - there are no general rules.

You'll really need to check every individual tender to see what they want - there are no general rules
id agree but you'll also be waiting awhile for your money. so it's not something for a quick cashflow

Some contracts have minimum turnover requirements - this is a bit of a controversial area at present. They may require you to have existing turnover of a few hundred thousand, depending on the size of the contract being offered..

this is the biggest problem you will come up against. I have tried to tender for works on the site but the turnover requirements are always 100k-200k and as a sole trader that is impossible.

They seem to forget that as a sole trader you will mostlikly have more direct experience than a company who will win a project and probably hand it to a junior. This is not taken into account in the tender process.

best of luck in your business

the tender process has gotten ridiculous. A contract we had for had for the last three terms (6 years) came up again for tender and cant even apply as the turnover qualification has gone to 2 million! We are a small company and would no where near turn over that these days. Despite the fact that we are very capable and have a track record with the client. It's crazy...

It might be worth your while appealing this requirement to the CEO of the relevant body, and asking them to justify the rationale for this. There is growing awareness of the need to facilitate local enterprises in tendering, so they should be able to produce some rationale for this. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourself, consider getting your trade association or professional body or ISME or whoever to raise the query.