Tenants want to install gas fire?

fmmc

Hi,
I've recently rented a house to a family. The fire is plumbed for a gas fire but we never got round to installing one. Now the tenants want to install a gas fire themselves. Should we permit it & if yes, is there anything we need to insist on or get in writing? Thanks in advance, f

Make sure they use an approved gas installer or get it done yourself at their expense and keep a test cert from the installer. Always have your ass covered

I thought that those kind of things need to be done by the Landlord and at the landlords expense. It isn't really an optional item, it's part of the house!
Maybe I am misunderstanding what a gas fire is, I am not that familiar with gas appliances.

Marge, presumably there is some form of heating in the place already, the tenants would probably just prefer a gas fire. They sit in the fireplace (the gas fires, not the tenants) and produce a flame giving the feel of a real fire.

I'd be very wary of allowing tenants to do this. Will they also ensure that any damage to surrounding area is made good. Definitely get all necessary documentation re safety etc.

What if they want to take the fire with them when they leave??

The house currently is heated via oil but the tenants have a preference for having a gas fire installed also in the sitting room.

My answer would be NO.
It is your house and at the moment, I presume, the oil system is working fine. They can always rent somewhere else. Their preference for gas is their preference not yours.

If they are planning a DIY handyman gas installation then you are on dodgy ground, the only person that should make alterations to your house is you.

I'd be very wary of allowing tenants to do this. Will they also ensure that any damage to surrounding area is made good. Definitely get all necessary documentation re safety etc.
I would also be very wary, in fact if it was my property, I wouldn't allow the installation.

Apart from possible damage caused during the installation, there's the issue of liability if the fire malfunctions, if it's installed without adequate ventilation or there's a leak.

Landlord's in the UK are required by law to have gas appliances serviced annually by a Corgi registered engineer. I don't see any equivalent law here is Ireland, but can imagine that if there was an incident with the gas, the property owner would be liable.

Never, never, never... let a tennant do work in your property. They will always go with the cheapest! If you are going a head with this, take "Ted2" advice

My first property was exactly the same, gas central heating plumed for gas fire (which we never installed). The house was perfectly warm without a gas fire.