Tenant moving out - can I put the rent up to market level?

poppy265

Hi

I am looking to see if a landlord after a tennant gives notice to move out and will now have a to put house back on the rent market ... can they put the rent up to market rate?

The property has been let to the same people for over 6 years with a rent increase of only 100 euro over this period .

The landlord is not registered the tennancy board and the house was a private let.

Thanks
Poppy265

The landlord is not registered the tennancy board and the house was a private let.

Alarm bells. I suppose no tax is being paid either. That's a very silly road to go down.

And it's entirely irrelevant to whether you can put up the rent or not. A private let is subject to the same laws as all landlords have to follow.

I suppose no tax is being paid either. That's a very silly road to go down

How did you manage to deduce tax evasion from that question..

Simple enough question answered in the second post.

The rights and wrongs morally of increasing the rent to market rates may lie at the door of the Landlord imo.

Hi

I am looking to see if a landlord after a tennant gives notice to move out and will now have a to put house back on the rent market ... can they put the rent up to market rate?

The property has been let to the same people for over 6 years with a rent increase of only 100 euro over this period .

Thanks
Poppy265
The Rent can be increased by 4% for each year since the last increase. If the rent was €1000 6 years ago it can be €1265 now (4% compounded over 6 years).

...The rights and wrongs morally of increasing the rent to market rates may lie at the door of the Landlord imo....

Some might argue that the Govt changes to the rules have made it financially punitive not to.

Back