Tenancy Issue

G

gorecki

Would be grateful for any advice on the following:

In May of this year I moved into a 4-bedroom house with my girlfriend and her sister. My girlfriend's sister signed a year lease and we all paid a deposit of €200 plus a month's rent €270 each.

However, several incidents have occured since which have made this situation untenable for me and I now wish to leave the house, as does my girlfriend. We have communicated this my girlfriend's sister and asked her if she had anyone to replace us. According to her she has people lined up but is refusing to ask them for a deposit to move in and therefore refusing to return both mine and my girlfriend's deposit.

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as just going to the landlord with this problem as se does not know that I live in the house as I was a last minute replacement for a third sister. As far as the landlord knows, the three sisters live in the house and she has rented the house as a whole as opposed to each room individually. I also do not have any contact number or email address for the landlord as all communication has been between her and my girlfriend's sister.

I desparately need to leave as I've mentioned above but am unprepared to forfeit my deposit, which i believe I am entitled to. We have given her a month's notice and have already stated that we would pay any outstanding bills.

I was in a very similar sitaution many years ago and in the end both myself and female housemate left the house leaving the remaining tenant and her bf to pay the last month's rent out of our refundable deposit....

Back