Temporary Removal of Front Garden Wall

Dajumo

Hi folks
I'm buying a house which needs building work and will need several skips to remove debris etc. There is a front garden but no vehicular access, only a pedestrian gate. It is on a reasonably busy road with some on-street parking (including one in front of my house) . Most of the neighbouring properties have converted their front gardens to driveways, so no street parking in front of those houses.

In order to avoid putting the skips on the road, I would like to temporarily remove some/most of the front wall so that the skip can go in the front garden thereby assisting the builders and not annoying the neighbours as much. I would intend on either re-instating the wall after the works are complete, or possibly applying for retention permission for a driveway at that stage. My main objective at this stage however is to get the wall widened quickly so the renovation works can commence.

I have contacted the planning dept in Dun Laoghaire to explain this; the person there was very helpful and verbally suggested it should not need planning permission. However I was hoping to get something in writing. In a follow-up e-mail I was advised that they don't validate proposals by phone/email. He did forward my e-mail to his enforcement section who referred to the relevant/pertinent regulation of the Planning Act (see below), but he said that I'd have to satisfy myself with compliance with planning regulations. So.. the question is, am I being too careful here - is it just a given that you are allowed to temporarily remove a wall to assist with building works? Appreciate any views.

The relevant clause relates to Planning Exemptions:

CLASS 16
The erection, construction or placing on
land on, in, over or under which, or on land adjoining which, development consisting of works (other than mining) is being or is about to be, carried out pursuant to a permission under the Act or as exempted development, of structures, works, plant or machinery needed temporarily in connection with that development during the period in which it is being carried out.
Such structures, works, plant or machinery shall be removed at the expiration of the period and the land shall be reinstated save to such extent as may be authorised or required by a permission under the Act.

I just had lunch with a friend of mine, who works in the planning office, so I asked him the question.

He said that there would be no issue from their side, and if there was a complaint, then they would just request a written undertaking that the wall would be reinstated. He also said that they would look favourably on it as the alternative is a skip on the road, which would take up a parking space.

His only caveat is if the wall was a protected structure, there would be an issue, otherwise you're good to go.

Reactions: Leo
That's very helpful, thanks Buddyboy.
I've just checked the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown CoCo latest Record of Protected Structures (RPS) and it's not listed there so sounds good.
By the way, do you mind if I ask was it the Dun Laoghaire planning office your friend works in, or a different one?
Thanks again

Back