Temperature control/regulator for a bath tap?

BetsyClark

Hi

I have a 21mth old toddler. I heard today of a 3yr old who half filled the bath herself and got in - thankfully the water was luke warm and she was discovered by her mum quickly anyway it got me thinking ...

Can you get a temperature regulator for a bath tap - something that I could put up high, out of toddler's reach, that would limit the temperature to 38 degrees?

Betsy

Sorry , can't help with your query but having heard of a six year old who was found in the bathroom at about 6am, with her one year old brother stripped, and the bath full ,as she prepared to bathe him, it frightened us into putting little hooks on the bathroom door, up high , until small people became more sensible. In other words, a thermometer would only solve one problem if you have an adventurous child!!

You can get an antiscald valve for the hotwater output from the cylinder which could do the job for you , your plumber can install it

When ever we fit baths we always ensure that the hot tap for the bath is on the inside, mainly for the reasons you name. Small children will always go for the nearest tap.

The easiest and cheapest remedy is to open bath panal and disconnect pipes feeding taps and then just swap them. you can also swap the colour on the tap heads without removing the tap.

Another safety tip if you are worried about young children is to remove the plug from the chain and leave it up high on a window etc and only use it at bath time. The bath can never be filled without it.

Add information:

You could also fit thermostatic bath taps. It has two knobs and one spout. One knob is to set the temperture and one to turn off and on the water. The knob has tempertures marked on it and when the knob gets to 40 degrees it locks. There is a release button on the side of unit to unlock, if you want it hotter. They can be expensive but are easy to install.

Last edited:
You could also fit a thermostatic mixing valve on the output of the tank. No hot water from any tap can ever be hotter than the level it's set to.

They are v. expensive BTW.

SSE