Television Ratings.

peno

Can anyone tell me how the television ratings were arrived at?

I read yesterday that the appalling program celebrity jigs n reels on New Years eve got a rating of 1.1m.
Considering that the population of the country is approx 4.1m (2007 est) I find this a touch optimistic.

Taking into account the amount of people that go out to pubs night clubs etc, the number who go to parties in houses and then the children in bed how on earth can they estimate that 25% of the population watch that terrible program.

Especially at a time when so many people now have digital tv giving the option of 100’s of channels showing movies etc I fail to see how so many of us watch the program.

I did flick on it for 30 seconds and quickly knocked it off. Did this contribute to the high rating?

i think nilsen (sp?) do them here in ireland. a cross section of punters have boxes connected to their tellys that automatically keeps track of what you are watching
if memory serves me they use to be called tam ratings.

I saw one of these TAM ratings things in a house once. Everytime you changed channel you had to give a reason, plus each member of the household had their own username/input for the remote control. Really annoying, and I was only visiting! If memory serves they weren't even compensated for it.

Back