Telephone Bills

M

monkey

Can anyone tell me what the cheapest irish telephone company is?

Monkey

It really depends on your call profile usage (e.g. mostly local, national, UK or international; mostly peak or off-peak etc.). UTV Talk is free for all local, national and UK off-peak calls in case that's of any use. It's very difficult to compare most telcos tariff sheets on a like with like basis unfortunately.

Most of my calls are to Ireland. I am currently using telestunt for all my mobile calls (which reduces the charge to 15 cent per minute) and all other calls are charged at local rate. I think I am getting caught out by the sheer number of calls. My monthly bill for local calls alone is sometimes around 100 euro. I think this is too much. Is there a better option? I am currently using Eircom for my hook up and BT for phone calls.

monkey said:
I think I am getting caught out by the sheer number of calls. My monthly bill for local calls alone is sometimes around 100 euro.

If a lot of those local calls are made at peak time (Mon/Fri, 8-6), you might save money by moving to [broken link removed]- unlimited local/national calls at any time of the day for 9.99/month incl. VAT, as long as no single call exceeds 59 mins.

Be warned, 'though - those calls to the [broken link removed]prefix for Irish mobiles are surcharged by Euphony to the tune of about 90%, making the cost closer to 28c/min ('though this is not indicated clearly anywhere on their published rate sheet (.pdf), which is a bloody disgrace - but that's another day's rant...! :rolleyes: )

However, if your calls to mobiles aren't excessive, you could do worse than to buy a hundred (or two hundred?) minutes' worth of them under the optional Mobile100/Mobile200 add-ons - that would give you an 'any time' rate of 16.5 or 17c/min...

That's what I'm doing at the moment anyway, and my average monthly bill has come down by a good third or so (excluding my wife & offspring's mobile bills, of course...:eek: )

But everything depends on your usage patterns. If most of your local calls are off-peak, you might be better off with a crowd like UTVInternet who give you unlimited free local/national calls, off-peak...

As Dr says, if the local /national calls are off peak UTV seems to be the best. If however, they are during the day peak calls and you are already with BT for calls go for their new "BT Talk Plus & Line Rental - €39 a month Including the line rental - so for Eur15 a month you have unlimited Daytime and Evening National and Local calls. From what you have said about your bill up to now, it looks like you are in for a huge saving!

I see Eircom has responded :)eek:?) with [broken link removed]. Seems to be roughly the same deal - €39.99 inc. VAT for line rental plus unlimited local/national calls <60 mins, plus a small discount on their (exorbitant) mobiles/international rates.

But for the moment I'll stay with twin billing:
€24.08 to Eircom for line rental
+ €9.99 to Euphony for unlimited local/national calls
= €34.07 (instead of €39.99)

...plus I can buy 'anytime' to-mobile minutes for 16.5c/min instead of Eircom's [broken link removed] (to Meteor, which is the network we call most).

Monkey,
In reply to your questions about Euphony, you can access details on the services at www.euphony.com. If you want to send me an email I can post info leaflet, ratecard and application form to you.
Regards,
Euphony Business Consultant

Back