Telephone Banking & Notes/Memos on file

kimmage

Hello,

I recently made a complaint to one of the 4 leading Irish banks. Since then, every time I call the bank, (you can not call the branch directly anymore) their branch support team answer. After I identify myself they always say, oh, can you please hold I am having a problem with the system, or, apologies, I am just logging into the system.

The thing is, I asked someone else who also banks with this company to call, and when they called the same number they were dealt with immediately.

This only seems to happen after I made the complaint, which was upheld - they admitted they made a mistake. This is all in the recent past now.

However, the tone of the staff members change, when - I assume they are reading some form of memo or notice that seems to be attached to my account.

Do you think or know if the banks do this? It makes me feel uncomfortable now. I get the impression they are like, oh, here we go again - making me feel like I am making a nuisance of myself, when, this is the first time I have ever complained.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers.

I would not be supprised if you are right. I think AIB migth have the same flag against me But I dont ring them, so dont have problems.....

Anyway the solution to your problem (well to prove it) is to use the Data Protection Acts to get a copy of all the information they hold on you. This should also include the recordings of all the calls you have made into them. There is a possibility that your failed attempts of using the phone banking were not be recoded, if they claimed the 'system was down'. But they managed to access your details their audit logs 'should' the those dates/times.

Here is how to request the info : [broken link removed]

If your complaint involved fraudulent use of your account, there may be a flag on the account that needs to be lifted. They may be afraid that they are dealing with someone who is not the owner of the account over the phone.
I had that problem over the phone after the bank paid out on stolen cheques. If I query my account at the branch even the staff always try to buy time to assess the situation. "Emm ... just a moment please...computers are slow today...right how can i help you?" I just bring my passport in all the time now.

Hi,

Thanks for the replys! It was actually National Irish Bank.

The complaint was really simple and straight forward. At the end of May I asked for some foreign currency to be ordered for me for collection. Unfortunately the day before I was due to leave, I went to collect the money. But, they never ordered it.

So I wrote to NIB and advised I would never rely on their eBanking for orders (that’s how I placed the order). And also, I asked if they would reinstate the telephone number for the branch. They apologised for the error and I though that was the end.

I just feel uncomfortable now, its maybe paranoia on my behalf. But I don’t like the way the do this anytime I call!

I will request the data thanks Towger! I suppose it won’t hurt to see what they have!

And alsororo123, that’s pretty much what happens to me! the “just a moment please”

Thanks again!

From having worked on numerous banking systems, they don't always have the 'Single View of Customer' that you think they might/should have...