"Team Spirit in Vancouver"

WaterSprite

There's a letter in the IT today from the father of one of the Australian bobsleigh pair. I thought it was really nice:

[broken link removed]

I dont hold anything against the individual athletes in this case, but the attitude of the Australian Olympic Committee was very unsporting.

Regardless of what the father says in his letter, the AOC were seeking to have the Irish bobsleigh excluded - part of their case was that the Irish were allowed to join the World Cup circuit midseason and so should be stripped of any world ranking points earned (I believe there is no rule regardling having to enter all World Cup events). The Irish qualified by being in the top 20 in the World. The Australians were well outside the top 20 with less points.

I also think that using the argument that Australia is a "Continent" and because the Olympic rules encourage each event to have at least 1 participant from each "Continent", then Australia should be included is weak and against the intention of the rules. The spirit of the rules recognise 4 Continents - Americas, Europe, Africa & Asia. Japan qualified as the top ranked Asian team ahead of Australia, so the Aussies started looking for loopholes.

I have to admit to not following the story at the time so don't know the ins and outs of it. I thought the letter was very gracious though.