Team GB. What about NI?

Because athletes from Northern Ireland may choose to compete for Great Britain or Ireland?

left out of the UK Olympics team (Team GB)?

Because it's Team GB NOT Team UK, therefore only Scotland, Wales and England can be part of Team GB, however if you change it to Team UK then our friends up north can be included

Our shooter was from Carlow I think, somewhere in the midlands anyway. Was doing well early on but didn't make the final in the end.

There were 3 NI team members apparently...

http://www.olympics.org.uk/beijing2008/TeamGB.aspx

They can hardly call themselves Team GB so.... ? Should be Team UK or not admit Northern Ireland sportspeople.

i think technically they are called great britain and northern ireland

So therefore they should be called Team UK (if one follows the understanding of the technical term for the UK - The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland)

[broken link removed]

47 medals, whatever they're called...fair play to them.

Same as us then really (pro rata)

I presume that as usual the Ozzies are the overall winners in this respect?

I was looking for 'medals per capita' stats yesterday, all I could find was ones from a week or so into the games - Australia & Armenia were leading at that time. Overall India would have ended up last - 2 medals from a population of 1.1 billion...although that was a bit better than countries that got no medals (e.g. Pakistan as my Indian colleagues like to point out), I suppose.

Northern Ireland got no medals either.

If your going down that road, then England, Scotland or Wales didn't win any medals either

Wendy Houvenaghel from Magheragfelt won a silver medal in the Women's individual pursuit