Teak windows, doors varnish

davfran

Hi there, could do with advice in relation to the best varnish for inside and outside Teak windows and doors. Any advice greatly apprecated.

I saw a professional painter using 3 coats of "translac clear - egg shell finish" last year on teak windows and they looked lovely after it. I also saw someone else use 1 coat of Oak Bondex as a stain and then 3 coats of translac clear to finish them.

you could try teak oil or yachts varnish either, it does say on the yachts varnish tin, that it's only suitable for exterior but I checked with the company and they assured me it was suitable for interior also.

I normally use the Ronseal 5yr woodstain, but I'd like to know more about this translac clear stuff.

I'm due to stain mine again soon, so can I just stain them first to get a colour back on them and then put this translac stuff over the stain?

how long does it last?

We have the ronseal teak 5 year on our windows at home and it has held for over 6 years but I find that it is very paint like, not like a stain at all. At work we have put the oak bondex (slow to dry) on a sliding door followed by 3 coats of translac and the colour is lovely - everybody keeps asking what is on it.

The professional guy that I saw using it done the job about 2 years ago and I saw the house last week and it still looks perfect, the windows are a lovely natural golden colour. Worth asking in a good paint shop for advise or even do a google search.

Thanks for the comments, I used translac inside and out but I did not use the oak bondex, my experience is that the translac on its own is no goood particularly on the outside. Somebody put me off using the yacht varnish for some reason that I can't remember.

I have two teak side gates that are looking abit weathered, and am looking to clean them up. Should I just continue with re-oiling them using teak oil, or take that weathered look off by restaining? If I was to restrain, can anybody suggest a suitable stain and how best to apply it, (i.e does one need to sand before application). I guess I'd still need to oil post the staining.

Thanks
S.

Back