Teaching a kid to ride a bike

clownie

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Hi

Anyone with any advice on teaching a kid to ride a bike without stabilisers?

Thanks
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Depends on the age of the child. To be honest , if they are ready , they will find it no bother, just the usual running along with them, shouting encouragement. If they are not ready and are afraid, forget it. Eventually , they'll do it themselves when they see their pals doing it and it's not worth making a big deal out of it.

My daughter's best friend has being cycling since she was 3 - she started off on one of those German bikes with no pedals. My nephew, who will be 8 in September, still uses stabilisers.

It depends on the child

3 years ago I helped my son lose his stabilisers, when he was 5. Last weekend, my 6yo daughter took them off for good.

We started in a local park that has some gentle grassy slopes. We started off letting them down the slope on the bike with stabilisers, then took off the stabilisers and let momentum and gravity move them down the slope, with me running alongside to make sure there were no accidents.

From there we moved on to a local basketball court (smooth tarmac) and repeated the approach, this time on the level.

Thanks. I was trying running along and holding my dd but I am only 5ft and she is tall up to my eyes so I reckon I am not tall enough for running alongside as I think I would end up falling over too rather than being able to stop her falling! Will try to find a slope

+1

I used a sloping lawn with my niece last week - ran by her side letting on I was holding the saddle for a few runs then told her I had let go for a few and then told her I would be letting go for the next few and a week later she is cycling on her own on the footpaths, she is about 6 and we used a bike where she could reach the ground from sitting on the saddle. I also showed the brakes.

you need to raise the stabilizers gradually , until the kid will eventually forget the bike has stabilizers .... and then off he goes .....................

Hi

Thanks for all the advice dd is now happily riding her bike without stabilizers