Health Insurance teachers plan VHI - alternatives?

wetday123@

My health insurance is due for renewal in February and I'm looking for suggestions as to any suitable alternatives. The hospitals I'm interested in really are public and Barringtons as they are the main hospitals I use. I have found this plan great for when you're in hospital but I think I'd like more cover as regards outpatient tests etc. Ideally I'd like to stay with VHI and in an ideal world save a little money too. Last year they introduced an excess of 50 for Barringtons which is ok but Im not interested in any excess for public hospitals. Could anyone make a few suggestions please so I can compare. I find the amount of plans very difficult to figure out so any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks

* I'm not familiar with the VHI plans as I am tied to a LAYA policy through my employer.

Hopefully you get some specific suggestions on this thread.

In the meantine, suggest reading this thread where there is a VHI comparison sheet available.

What is the current cost of your plan? Do you have any specific health issues that you'd like to be covered for in high-tech hospitals?

My health insurance is due for renewal in February and I'm looking for suggestions as to any suitable alternatives. The hospitals I'm interested in really are public and Barringtons as they are the main hospitals I use. I have found this plan great for when you're in hospital but I think I'd like more cover as regards outpatient tests etc. Ideally I'd like to stay with VHI and in an ideal world save a little money too. Last year they introduced an excess of 50 for Barringtons which is ok but Im not interested in any excess for public hospitals. Could anyone make a few suggestions please so I can compare. I find the amount of plans very difficult to figure out so any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Go to Cornmarket who are a broker, & have teachers schemes. They listen to what you are trying to achieve (per your description) & advise best policy. We moved to Irish Life Health from VHI (on a teachers scheme) as we had similar objectives (incl lowering costs) to yours.

Thanks for the replies, the cost is 1539.84 I am in a group scheme - I suppose once the 50 euro excess for Barringtons was put on last year I dont want any further excess. I certainly don't want one for public hospitals.
I'm also concerned that scans etc. would be included if you're sent for one as an outpatient in so far as possible. In fat outpatient costs worry me, at least when you're in hospital everything is covered.
I have more than one chronic illness and so for me health insurance is a necessity. I'm not really too concerned about hi-tech hospitals at all.

Hi Wetday i was on the teachers plan and i changed to PMI 3513 it seems very similar and a lot of the benefits that i had on the teachers plan are on this plus when i go to the doc and pay €50 you can claim back half of it and same with physios. I paid €1268 for this plan but when i got back money from the pandemic its definitely been less than €1000 i paid in the past year. im also on the group scheme

Back