TDi...red "D" and red "i"?

gebbel

A friend wants to buy a 2002 VW Passat 1.9TDi Saloon Base model that is listed on carzone. The seller says that the car is 130BHP, as thats what the red "D" and red "i" signify. A few google results I saw also indicate this. We, however, also did a check on cartell.ie that lists the car as being 100BHP. As my mate is in the final stages of negotiations on a selling price, the truth in this matter might save him a few hundred euro.
Anyone any ideas on what is fact here?
Thanks for any replies.

Re: TDi...red "D" and red "i"???

tell your friend to check the hole in the boot where the spare wheel is, their is a white sticker giving the car information. it should be the fourth line down, it should have 96KW on it that means it is the 130bhp, if it dont say 96kw it definitely is the lesser bhp model.

it is known to happen that people are remapping the engine (Chipped) to increase power and passing it off as 130bhp model. 100bhp model worth good bit less.

hope it helps, let me know how it goes im curious!

thanks Kieran

I will post an answer to your suggestion tomorrow at 4pm as I will see the car then

A bunch of Passats have been marked with red Di but are not 130BHP (I own a 2001 model just like this) so it's very possible that this is the case.

First post was spot on! I nearly got caught when buying a Passat 2 years ago. The guy swore blind he was on the level, even tried to give me ahard time for wasting his!

Check the kw and walk if not.....

it should have 96KW on it that means it is the 130bhp, if it dont say 96kw it definitely is the lesser bhp model.

hope it helps, let me know how it goes im curious!

Update: the car is rated at 74KW. The car must be 100BHP (130/96x74 right?).The seller was absolutely gobsmacked and wants some "time to verify" before the sale is finalised. My mate has requested a €500 reduction in the asking price!!!
Cheers Kieran for the top tip. Looks like the red "D" and red "i" power assumption is nothing but a myth!!

Last edited:
glad it helped. i would walk away from this one. €500 off aint enough, 100bhp much less sought after. sounds to me like your mate has yet too drive the 130bhp, if he had he would never buy the 100bhp. if he buys the 100bhp model he will be kickin himself.

it is a buyers market, but i highly advise him to look at a 130bhp before he commits to this one. im just wonderin is it chipped?

There are a load of 130bhp 1.9tdi cars out there, mine is an 2002 a4 with 130bhp diesel and that would fetch nearly 17k I would say if I was selling. Tell your mate to walk away, there are loads about!

Plenty of auto factors selling red"D" and red"I" letters to add to the confusion!!