TD Waterhouse - Bad Customer Experience

dtlyn

I've searched for TD Waterhouse posts and I don't think they quite fit the title here so I thought I'd give it my own post. Feel free to move and chop and change where this sits as required.

I applied to TD Waterhouse 2 weeks ago and sent Bank Certified documentation to them directly. 1 week ago I received a generic letter implying (although not explicitly stating) that I failed a credit check and my application has been declined. I have my ICB credit report and I've never missed a payment on previous loans. Moreover, I have no outstanding loans or credit card balances at all. Naturally I was curious so I rang the customer service department.

Customer service advised me that my credit check was fine but according to the accounts department I had a failed application dating from Nov 09 that introduced an inconsistency in my overall application address details. I eventually recalled partially completing an application before Christmas using my parent's address and explained this to customer services (who appear to be a buffer in front of accounts applications). I cannot recall the reason I used that address (which I have lived at most of my life and would use by default when asked) - most likely because I was moving tenancies at the time and I liked to have my post forwarded there.

Customer service advised me that due to inconsistencies across the two applications they cannot proceed with my application and were quite eager to end the conversation there. I asked for a course of action to rectify the discrepancies and explained I have evidence of address (tenancy agreements, bills to my folks place etc) and could photocopy them in order to paint the correct picture and rectify my mistake.

At this point the CS agent got a bit agressive (I took it as her being over-suspicious of me) and disinterested. She told me to file a new application to which I replied the new application would be a carbon copy of the recent application, which I would expect to be rejected again (she agreed). After about 10 minutes of getting nowhere she informed me that I needed a new paper application (not online) and documentation/letter explaining the discrepancy of address.

A little annoyed at the need for a new application (carbon copy) as well as a written explanation I explained that the whole process has been quite a hassle. I was not impressed with the customer service quality thus far, especially the refusal to engage with me as a potential customer.

At that point I explained that there are other online trading options and if my experience didn't change they would loose a customer.

At that point they were satisfied to hang up the phone and at that point they lost a customer.

With customer service like this there is no way I am trusting them with them with my money and as of now there is no way I would consider chasing up my application discrepancy (even given that it was my mistake).

I have had customer service interaction with Goodybody before and, although you do pay for it, they were exceptionally helpful in the account application and handling process. I had one particularly awkward request that they handled excellently.

For those who are considering TD Waterhouse accounts who value customer experience, I would definitely look elsewhere.

I had problems signing up to them have gone elsewhere signed up with ODL also found the TD CS useless they where all over the place no clear policy for signing up customers

I have recently filled out all the applications forms and sent on all relevant documentation.
I have been waiting quiet a while for a response and was going to contact them until reading this particular post.
I too use Goodbodys for my current on line share trading business and have been looking around for a less expensive option.
TD Waterhouse appeared to fit the bill, it looks like I will need to continue my search.

Oh well!

Last edited:
Back