Tayto: Where did it all go wrong? Discuss.

Had a friend of mine who did this in Turkey so can you imagine how confused they were?!

Mrs d2 told me last night that one of the things she found so romantic about me when we met in our late teens was that I used to give her any Tayto crisp that were curled up around themselves, or the ones that had big air bubbles in them.....They were my favourites so I'm glad she remembered the sacrifices I made for her

I remember in England that you could buy Smith's crisps and they had a little twist of blue waxed paper inside the bag containing the salt for you to sprinkle. Maybe they still have them.

Happy Days

Damn you all and your discussion about Tayto. Felt mysteriously compelled to go out and buy a pack...

I noticed a change in flavour of Tayto years ago, must have been when they were sold the first time...

Noticed the same about Kellogs Corn Flakes...they have no flavour these days. Bought Natural Company Corn Flakes and budda bing! they tast like Kellogs Corn Flakes used to taste in the 80's.

now for my crips...

It's "badda Bing", not "buddu Bing"

Darn it! I was so close! Next time!

btw Crips weren't half bad but probably won't eat them again for another few months, I prefer the crinkly variety myself...crips that is.

Did you every try asking for a 'Vodka & Red' (meaning Red Lemonade, long before Red Bull came on the scene) in a busy English pub?

Or fizzy orange. Went to Somerset on holiday one year and asked for a fizzy orange. The staff behind the bar nearly wet themselves.

Hilarious! I tell you something, I wouldn't have given one of my air bubble Tayto to anyone on earth, that was like finding gold. No wonder you won her heart, you romantic fool you

Newsflash: Gave Tayto another try yesterday and they were even worse than I remember.......ugggghhhhh. Revolting sickly nasty oily taste again, gutted!!

Or fizzy orange. Went to Somerset on holiday one year and asked for a fizzy orange. The staff behind the bar nearly wet themselves.

LOL. Or asking for a mineral. Is that town and country Irish or just country Irish?

I'm still inclined to ask for a 'glass' of beer in English pubs, rather than a 'half'. "Excuse me," they say, while my face turns

The good old days.

A packet of crips and a tin of minerals.

I think we used to have packet of crisps and a can of Co-Ack (phonetic bogger pronunciation left in intentionally)

LOL. Or asking for a mineral. Is that town and country Irish or just country Irish?

Certainly country irish and it would depend on the town size. I've heard it (a while ago) in town in Offaly!

Well if you said mineral and tayto down my local you'll get what you are looking for!

Now if you said Redbull or Low-Fat Pringles you might get a funny look.

are tayto northern ireland not seperate? dont think they were part of the largo foods deal. will check it out when I am down in newry someday soon.
In the early days of Tayto, Spud sold his secret cheese and onion recipe to the guys in Norn'Ireland and gave them the rights to make and sell "Tayto" in the 6 counties. Think he asked for less than a hundred quid or some such figure.
Tayto in Northern Ireland might be more of the real deal as they manufacture their own crisps unlike C&C closing their factories and paying Largo to make'em under licence. There's even a Tayto World across the border and you can meet the crisp himself. www.tayto.com as opposed to malfunctioning www.tayto.ie :-(

Certainly country irish and it would depend on the town size. I've heard it (a while ago) in town in Offaly!

Im from Dublin, and in my house fizzy drinks were always referred to as 'minerals', and still are! Maybe that because my parents are from the country.