Taxing new car

dmos87

Hi All,

we've decided to upgrade my husbands car & as he is working weekdays, I will be collecting it from the dealership on Thursday morning. I had initially planned to head straight for the tax office to get it taxed, however the guy in the dealership mentioned we might have problems taxing it if the log book isn't sorted first. I rang my local garda station to query, and they've advised that only the owner of the vehicle can tax the car.

We wanted to put the car into my husbands name and need to tax it ASAP so he has a car to get to and from work on Friday.

What pitfalls are there in putting my name on the car? From a household perspective it makes no difference, but I'm wondering what would happen if he was to get any tickets etc.? Can anyone see any pitfalls in putting the car into my name?

any car we'v purchased, we just let dealership deal with registering it, you get the log book in few days (unfort) now and then we go and tax it. just carry the receipt of the car with you if stopped to show its new to you. Just make sure you have insurance sorted before you leave the dealerships, I always used their landlines to sort it...

The main driver of a car should be the registered owner. we once transferred a vehicle between husband and wife...adding another owner to it but it was something to do with the fact it was a carvan and I needed back seats for work insurance...he had the good car in his name and i got the carvan but we drove the each other vehicles.

Thanks Sandals, I'm just a bit nervous about it all as he'll have the LO with him enroute to work on Friday and again on the way home, so the last thing I want / need is for him to be stopped and the car potentially taken from him. Seems such a silly process, to have to wait for the Log book to tax the car. I would have thought by now a better system would be in place.

Im on the other foot, the new system taking your motor tax immediately as youv to pay for month you bought the car, gone are the days when I drove around for 3 to 4 months without tax and the receipt stuck in the tax disc holder...all i had to say was I was waiting on shannon to send the log book....

Once youv everything thought out and looked at, ye'll be fine...

What is 'LO'?

We have our cars registered in the wrong way,i.e. I am registered owner of Mrs S's car and vice versa. This arose from a time when we had a camper van plus we got cheaper insurance if she was reg owner. we are each named drivers on the otehr vehicle. It has posed no problem until a recent Fixed Penalty Notice arrived. This necessitated form filling and return to GFPO etc, not a huge deal.

If we change my car next year, I will register it in my name even though that will mean 2 cars in my name. It doesn't seem to matter to insurance. Neither of us use or cars for commercial purposes. S

If one of you has an accident while driving the car regd in the others name, does this require both insurance companies to be notified and potentially affect both NCBs