taxing Beyond Economic Repair

mrc

Anyone know if you can tax a car which has been deemed beyond economic repair (car worth 1300, repais to car 1500)

It's my own car and the other drivers insurance company has offered me 1300 euro

To tax a car it must be insured. If its damaged "beyond economic repair" it can't be insured, so it can't be taxed.

Where a vehicle is damaged it can fall into one of 4 categories - A, B, C or D.

A - Total loss - vehicle usually burnt out
B - Only fit for breaking for spares - so badly damaged it would be unsafe if repaired
C - Beyond economic repair - BER - new replacements/labour more than vehicle is worth
D - Vehicle less than 1 year old that owner wants replaced

Bearing this in mind, it is perfectly feasible for you to be involved in an accident, have your car deemed BER and still drive it. Lets say that the car is worth €1300 and repairs come to €1500, (as per your post).The quote for repairs to your vehicle is for new parts which you are entitled to - but that doesn't mean that you HAVE to use new parts. The vehicle is still yours and you are entitled to keep it, repair with used parts and still drive it around.

The insurance company are putting you back into the same position as you were prior to the accident by settling you as though the vehicle is gone, less the highest bid for the remains.

You have the logbook etc and are able to tax as usual. You should get the repairs done and then take for an NCT, but are under no obligation to do this, although I would advise for your own piece of mind.

Cheers guys for the replies....

ACA.... you are right, Ford quoted me for new parts for the repair but I know I can get it done for much cheaper... The other drivers insurance company want to writeout the cheque for the 1300 and have it down as B.E.R.

The reparis are for new bumper, headlight and front wing.... car is still drivable..

The insurance company have told me that if I agree to the 1300 payout it is up to me to dispose of the car but I'd rather a) get it repaired cheaper or b) give it to my younger brother for him to get repaired and keep

Does this, in the eyes of the law (?), make the car a write-off?

edit: getting it repaired following a payout for full residual value, a BER, that is

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Yoganmahew, don't believe so. If the vehicle was category B, the insurer either takes possession of the vehicle and sends the logbook to Shannon or gives the owner the salvage agent details and informs Shannon that the vehicle has been involved in an 'end of life' accident.

In the case of BER, the vehicle remains the property of the current owner, the company that I work for gives the owner the option of retaining and removes the highest bid - other insurers just give the salvage details and leave it up to them.

It benefits no-one for an insurer to say that the vehicle is BER is it's really only fit for breaking..... it'll come back to haunt them in the end!

Thanks for the info guys... I will give the tax office a buzz and see can they shed some light on the issue

Back