Taxation summons :(

andy

right i hope i explain this correctly, back in 2003 i set up a part time website selling items directly from my supplier (so i help no stock at all) a customer would order item X from me pay me via paypal or cash i would then ring the supplier and have item X sent directly to the customer this was very slow i think i made 3 actual sales at the time and my full time employer found out i was running a online business and sacked me for a conflict of interest this put an end to my part time business and my job, within a few weeks i started working full time again and ceased my farse of a business venture and instructed my accountant to put a close to everything off and thought he had, now today i recieved a letter from the revenue saying that they have began to institute criminal proceedings against me under the taxes consolidation act 1997 for failure to recieve an income tax return for 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 im in a panic now as it says i could get a fine or imprisonment??? if they checked there system under my PPS number they could see i was working full time all these years and paying personal tax, does anybody have any guidance for me?

Basically you would have been registered for Income Tax because of your 'trade'. Regardless of your main (or only) source of income coming from employment the Revenue still require an Income Tax return for these years.

This will not go away and these returns should be submitted.

even if the returns are submitted as 0? with the exception of 2003? that would obviously have a financial value

You should have received a Form 11 each year for completion. Did you just ignore them? If you still have them in the house, complete for each year and return.
You will have to put in details of ALL your income and gains, not just write zeros in the self-employed sections.
Firstly you should try speaking to whoever sent you the recent letter, explain the circumstances, and clear with them what has to be done.

Contact Revenue and ask them is it possible for them to amend your registration details to properly record the ceasing of the business in 2003. You will then have to file a 2003 return,possibly with an estimated figure for your self-employment 'profit' (although it doesnt sound like you made much money).

If Revenue can't accommodate you on this, you will have to file returns for all years, as mentioned previously.

You will need to deal with this urgently.

Back