Taxation of US stimulus payment in Ireland

Waver

I am a dual citizen Irish/US who has lived in Ireland most of my life.
I always file a US tax return but have never had to pay tax there.
I am at home with the children so no earned income and only a very small bit of interest.
I got a stimulus cheque from the US government in the post.
Before I spend it all will I have to pay tax on this in Ireland?

I am a dual citizen Irish/US who has lived in Ireland most of my life.
I always file a US tax return but have never had to pay tax there.
I am at home with the children so no earned income and only a very small bit of interest.
I got a stimulus cheque from the US government in the post.
Before I spend it all will I have to pay tax on this in Ireland?
According to the Irish Independent yesterday, US taxpayers who have incorrectly filled in their tax returns as 'US resident' may have been paid the stimulus payment in error. You may have to refund the payment to the US government.

All US Citizens who filed a return in 2019/2018 are entitled to it regardless of residence. Same way you have to file tax every year being one of the downsides of being a US citizen, you get the benefits too. The incorrect reporting of resident part is only for the likes of J1 who arent even citizens.

As for tax here...I don't know sorry. Technically its considered a tax credit. Its definitely not income because they stated this and you don't have to report it on your US return next year.

Last edited:
If you are tax resident in Ireland, you are taxed here on your worldwide income, minus any credit you are entitled for taxation paid elsewhere. Whether something is considered to be income by the US authorities would not necessarily mean that Revenue would take the same view. Irish and Foreign Social Welfare payments are taxable unless specifically exempted. For example, foreign old age pensions are a regular source of underpayment of tax. It may be wise to clarify with Revenue, unless someone can give you a definitive answer to confirm the basis on which it is not taxable.

Out of curiosity, how do you cash a cheque from Uncle Sam?

In a bank

not being smart, my US based auntie sends me a cheque for the kids at Christmas. I've always cashed it in the bank. They lodge the money to you account immediately but say that it will take a number of weeks to clear and the money will be taken back if it bounces.

I lodged it in to my bank account.

Given that I don’t have any other taxable income in Ireland I will hold back 20% to cover any possible tax here.
My husband and I file jointly here but I think I have my own 20% band I can use.

You will have a 20% band provided your husband is not claiming home carer's credit for you (applies if you are at home to mind your children).

I lodged it in to my bank account.

Given that I don’t have any other taxable income in Ireland I will hold back 20% to cover any possible tax here.
My husband and I file jointly here but I think I have my own 20% band I can use.

Did you find out any further information about these cheques and tax here? As they are sending another $600 and then possibly another $1400 in future.

Can you advise what bank accepts these US Treasury cheques. A relative received one in Dublin & has been advised no bank can lodge or cash it as they don't have a clearing system with US Treasury. Any advise on what she can do next? Thanks

Can you advise what bank accepts these US Treasury cheques. A relative received one in Dublin & has been advised no bank can lodge or cash it as they don't have a clearing system with US Treasury. Any advise on what she can do next? Thanks
Bank of Ireland processed US Treasury checks to my account

Back