Tax Trainee Position and Future Prospects

I

InfoSeeker

I am in the midst of a career change at present. I am 29yrs old and have worked in IT for about 7 years and am bored. Little thought went into my decision to go into this sector initially as there were plenty of well paid jobs for those who did a one year conversion course.

Did Commerce degree and am now doing AITI exams, completed Part 1 last year and am starting Part 2 today. I am still in my IT job as I would find the fall in income hard to manage so am saving now to prepare to make the move next summer. I have called several firms re tax trainee positions in Cork and they are not that plentiful so am sending in my CV to them and following up based on when they say positions would be available.

My question, at last, is whether having only 1 year experience before fully qualifying would hold me back vis a vis someone who was in practice for 3+ years before qualifying? I am highly motivated in terms of this career change, ie exams cost 2k+ which I pay and also took 15 days leave to study and do exams out of an annual leave of 23 days. Most importantly I find the content of the course interesting. Any advice from someone who has gone down this road or from someone in practice would be greatly appreciated. Also I was thinking of applying for a job with the Revenue when fully qualified as if I am going to work in private practice long term then it I think it would be useful to see how the Revenue operate, just thoughts which might be misplaced given my lack of knowledge and experience!!

Back