Tax the horses

Firefly

Maybe this should be in the Budget 2009 section, but it really annoys me that this has gone on so long....TAX THE HORSES!!!

+4

EDIT: On the other hand - that would surely mean that there will be less helicopter rides to whichever important race meeting for the ministers, organsied by their horse breeder cronies. Plus there are more people on social welfare and pensioners than there are horses so it REALLY makes more sense to reduce SW payments and OAP. Right?

Maybe this should be in the Budget 2009 section, but it really annoys me that this has gone on so long....TAX THE HORSES!!!

How would you mount the tax disc ?

Seriously though, when I saw the millions that went on that place in Leopardstown or wherever a couple of years ago, I knew we were doomed. No money for autism teachers, HSE in a shambles, cancer wards closed and 'amalgamated', and all the while builders and the horsey-set looked after.

We definitely got the govt of the century !

Punchestown maybe? to be fair they needed money to sort out the drainage as the course was prone to being un-runable after rain, but the event centre is only occasionally used, which may have been what most of the grant was used for.

A large proportion of the countries sports budget going to subsidise rich people and gamblers while local sports clubs have poor facilities - scandalous.

A large proportion of the countries sports budget going to subsidise rich people and gamblers while local sports clubs have poor facilities - scandalous.

Not sure about that. Every night of the winter I can see the expensive pitch lighting of at least 3 GAA clubs in my area. I believe the government have poured a lot of money into the GAA over the years.

You can't tax the horses because of one simple reason. If they're taxed, then horse owners would have a good reason to claim tax back on their expenses (which they can't do at the moment). And if this was the case, the government would lose out big time because the expenses involved with owning horses is huge.

or maybe firefly is talking about the stud fees exemption? that was changed last year and from july 31 2008, stallion owners have had to pay tax on the stud fees.

or maybe firefly is talking about the stud fees exemption? that was changed last year and from july 31 2008, stallion owners have had to pay tax on the stud fees.

Ahh, wasn't aware of that - that's what I was referring to.