Tax settlements

Sunny

Now, I might be able to understand letting things slip in one company you are involved in and mistakes happen but surely if you are found to have tax liabilities in three different companies, you should be looking at jail time and not just interest and penalties. At the very least, you would have to question if he is fit to be a director of a company.

[broken link removed]

Agree.

How a restaurant can miss payment of €700,000+ of tax too is shocking.

Should a solicitor who dodges half a million in tax be allowed to continue practising? Not in my book.

How come none of these people went to jail. Surely someone who doesnt pay 100,000s or even millions should be locked up for a long time?

How come none of these people went to jail. Surely someone who doesnt pay 100,000s or even millions should be locked up for a long time?

I suppose from the State's perspective, it's a lot cheaper to slap on fines and interest payments (half of what F&B paid) and keep them out of prison. However, I think a mandatory minimum sentence in jail (such as 1 month) for any settlements over say 100k would result in a lot of tax settlements with the revenue.

Fraud is fraud, and this sort of stuff just backs up the logic that rich people are the worst offenders when it comes to fraud. BEnefit cheats and their defenders always mention tax evasion, and cases like these only back up their argument.

IF you knowingly avoid paying such huge sums of money to Revenue, then in my mind you carried out fraud on a major scale and deserve punishment over and above just paying it back. Just charging interest isn't enough imho. What deterrent is that?

Examples have to be made.