Tax return for Probate

Tomban

Hi all

I am the executor of my late mothers will and have been advised i need to file a tax return for 2024. She has very simple financial arrangements - a small private pension was her only non state income. Do you think i need to get an accountant to file or can i just do it through myrevenue - i was previosuly Enjuring POA and have her login.

I can't see why you'd need an accountant in a case like this assuming that there are no additional complications but mentioned above or any major skeletons in the cupboard. At worst, if you're not comfortable with doing this yourself, maybe you could try one of those PAYE tax return service providers that charge a few hundred euros for such a return?

one of those PAYE tax return service providers that charge a few hundred euros for such a return?
Do those outfits handle death case returns? The last few such returns I've had to file have all needed to be done on paper, as Revenue seemingly don't accept online returns in death cases. Each needed subsequent MyEnquiries and phone followup with Revenue.

I was in a similar position 2 years ago and had to do it on paper. Providing you are not intimidated by a very long form, the bulk of which you can ignore, then really it is just a case of fill in the relevant boxes, take a copy and drop it in the post. Took around 6 weeks to get the cert back.

I guess this is a Form 12 or a Form 11 depending on circumstances.
But where would one get this form for 2024? (I can only find a 2023 version online)

Yes and more than that, Revenue expect everyone who files an income tax return to do a due diligence exercise which encompasses quite a bit more than just one years income tax- you should read their guidelines carefully before you file the return. Quite honestly, unless you are very clear about the obligation you will put yourself under, paying an accountant will be well worthwhile

Back