Tax Return for Estate

Greekwife

My Dad died in 2012. He was Jointly Assessed for Tax with my Mum. The 2011 Tax Return was done before he died. Parents were not registered for ROS.

I did 3 tax Returns (Form 11 - paper) in Oct/Nov 2013 for Tax Year 2012 - 1 for both my parents together from the 1st Jan until his date of death, 2 for my Mum from date of death until end of year and then 3 for the Estate from date of death until end of year.

# 1 & 2 were submitted on time but #3 was late (by about 2 weeks) as Revenue said I needed a new temp PPS Number for the Estate.

#2 has come back from Revenue with a refund but no response for either #1 or #3 at all.

Have never done a Tax Return before - should it take this long ? Have tried calling but have not managed to get through to relevant section - told they only answer phones at certain times of the day.

Sorry to hear of your father's death.

From what you are saying, it may be that your mother did not have a PPS number prior to your fathers passing. In the event, presumably you have applied and received a Widow's pension for your mother or she was already on OAP - but was this contributory or non contributory. [The latter is means testes whereas a Widows pension arising from your father's contributions isn't.

Unless the estate is complex and there is income in its own right I would have thought that joint assessment would apply to Date of Death. Thereafter your mother would file a return.

The estate only becomes an issue if there is income arising - if the estate has been dealt with and often there is only the Residence and some financial assets to be sorted - are things complicated?

Thanks for your reply WizardDr.

My Mum did have her own PPS Number prior to Dad's passing. However, when she contacted Social Welfare they told her that she is not entitled to any sort of widow's pension. She does however receive one from my Dad's former employer's scheme.

My Dad owned 2 Investments properties in his sole name both of which have rental income which falls into the Estate. My parents had an additional Investment property in their joint names and that rental income now goes to my Mum.

So the income to the Estate is taxable and you had to apply for a PPS for that. If you think it's too long why don't you initially telephone revenue and ask them what is happening. After that send an email, but last time I sent one I had to send a reminder and they took at least a month to reply.

Back