Tax relief question in connection with my pension.

peez

Hi, I am a paye employee earning around 40000 pa. In june 2012 I began a private pension with boi life. I am renting and single so my tax credits reflect this.

When I took out the pension I went along to my local tax office and assumed the tax taken from my wages would from then on reflect the fact I pay into my pension.

However, this year on my first fortnightly wage slip, it appears I am paying around 100e extra per fortnight in tax.

My question is, do I need to reclaim/notify the tax office of my pension each year, or is the increase in tax due to some other possibility?

And how do I calculate or know if I have ever been given tax relief at all?. I pay 500e per month into pension. Last year my net pay per fortnight was 1150e, its now down to 1074e.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Hi peez,

Welcome to AAM.

The new tax year started on 1st January so it may be the case that some change has kicked in for the new tax year. It would be best if you gave the Revenue people a call and ask them what change has taken place. Make sure to have your PPS number before calling. They don't send out your allowance statement any longer but it can be viewed on-line. You can register with Revenue but they may need to post you out a PIN number and this will delay your access so a call might be better for the moment.

Ok thanks for the advice. Telephoned revenue, and I have to submit a letter from my pension provider to reclaim tax relief each year.

I can do this now, or at the end of the year whereby I can also save a lump sum which will come in handy.

Many thanks again for advice.