Tax relief on medical expenses

Meath Lady

Help needed. I have a health insurance policy that gives me a 50% refund with a 200 euro excess which covers both dentist and doctor etc. Unfortunately dentist not covered on med 1. So I am trying to figure out how to do med 1. The one I am currently doing has 260 euro of doctors receipts and 559.29 of dentist receipts. Totalled for health insurance is 819.29 euro. So 50 % can be claimed so that's 409.64 euro minus outpatient excess 200 . This means my refund from Laya was 209.64.
how much of this do I apply when doing Med 1.
total doctors. 260
total dentist 559.29
total cost . 819.29
total can be claimed. 409.64
less outpatient excess 200.00
payment made. 209.64

This is just one example. So when doing tax return do I take the 209.64 from the 260 and claim the balance or apportion it and if so how. Thanks in advance

You can't claim for dental expenses on MED1.
I think for emergency dental there was a MED2. Under the new revenue website I'm not sure where you can claim for that now.

You can claim for the total you paid for allowable expenses less the amount you received from the insurance company as a reimbursement for the same expenses

Only certain medical expenses are allowable - see the list here for Medical expenses and here for Dental Expenses

I don't know for certain whether the excess is allowed but I think you can claim that. You can only claim doctor on med 1 unless the dental work is included in the list provided by the above link. I would put the total doctors in less 50% received back but I'd add in the excess as well. So you should be able to claim for 260 - 130 + 200 = 330 and your return would be €66.

You can't claim for dental expenses on MED1.
I think for emergency dental there was a MED2. Under the new revenue website I'm not sure where you can claim for that now.
I understand I cannot claim dental expenses but I could claim them from Laya. This is what caused the dilema

I don't know for certain whether the excess is allowed but I think you can claim that. You can only claim doctor on med 1 unless the dental work is included in the list provided by the above link. I would put the total doctors in less 50% received back but I'd add in the excess as well. So you should be able to claim for 260 - 130 + 200 = 330 and your return would be €66.
Thank you that's what I was trying to figure out. By the way do you know is there any excess on the med 1 or can i claim all expenses not reimbursed elsewhere ,. So in this instance 330.

Thank you that's what I was trying to figure out. By the way do you know is there any excess on the med 1 or can i claim all expenses not reimbursed elsewhere ,. So in this instance 330.
No just realised I couldnt do that as total doctors expenses was only 260.

If you review your LAYA history - you can do it through their site, then for each doctors expense you submitted you should be able to see how much was reimbursed by LAYA. The balance is then what you claim for on MED1.
I think you will need to go through it receipt by receipt.

The excess does complicate things but I dont know how you would apportion it if you tried to be clever about it versus the Dental - to revenue's satisfaction I mean.

There is no excess on the MED1, your excess is how much tax you paid really!

Apportioning the insurance payment pro rata between doctor and dentist seems reasonable.

So 260 - 209.64*(260/819.29) = 193.47 expenses to claim.

Back