Tax relief on AVC contributions - possible misunderstanding

INYWIFNW

My understanding is that you can claim tax relief on pension contributions subject to an age-related earnings percentage limit and a total earnings limit. Provided that those limits are not exceeded, you get tax relief at your marginal rate.

In my case, I am 37 and earn €135k pa. I have a DB pension scheme and I recently set up an AVC PRSA to make an additional contribution of €500 per month to my pension. Provided that my pension contributions are 20% or less of €115,000 pa, my understanding is that I should be receiving tax relief of 40% of my pension contribution. Is this correct?

The reason I am asking is that when I applied on My Revenue for the relevant tax credit, I only received a tax credit of 20% of my pension contribution. In other words, when I inputted €500 per month as my AVC PRSA contribution, I had understood that I would be receiving a tax credit of €200 per month, but I am only receiving €100 per month. I queried this on My Enquiries and received the below response:

“Maximum relief is a percentage based on age and relevant earnings. As you are 37 the percentage limit is 20 per cent”.

Before I go back to Revenue and make a fool of myself, is my understanding correct, or have I misunderstood how tax relief on pension contributions work? Thanks.

Correct.
The reason I am asking is that when I applied on My Revenue for the relevant tax credit, I only received a tax credit of 20% of my pension contribution.
Are you sure that they didn't also increase your standard rate cutoff point by the amount of the pension contribution which, in combination with the tax credit, would result in 42% tax relief on your contribution?

I seem to recall this being the treatment in the past and it confusing me too. I think it's done this way to avoid anybody getting 42% relief when they should only be getting 20% on some or all of the pension contribution.
“Maximum relief is a percentage based on age and relevant earnings. As you are 37 the percentage limit is 20 per cent”.
Sounds like they might be answering a question that wasn't asked or they misunderstood your question.