Tax on Expenses Paid through a Limited Company

Lauren

If I have a limited company setup and my customer pays travel expenses to me (via the company) based on receipts I provide to them, do I have to pay tax on this amount when I am reimbursing myself?

There are travel expenses allowable for tax purposes inc milage/lunch/overnight etc you should check them out on the revenus site Once you keep the receipts and good records all these expenses can be claimed by you against your income tax

As above, once they are for business purpouses and you have reciepts you can claim them without any tax liability

Hi Lauren

Did the customer pay you personally, or the company?

If the latter, then I would have thought the correct approach would be for the company to include this in their turnover in their accounts & tax return, and for you as director/employee to claim the appropriate travel & subsistence from your company, in accordance with Revenue guidelines.

A number of questions arise before your original posting can be answered.

1. Do you pay out-of-pocket expenses with a company credit-card or company petty-cash?
  2. Do you have only one customer at one location which you to travel regularly to work at?
  3. Do you have Revenue agreement to pay pubic service mileage rates out of the company for the use of your car on company business?
  4. Do you have your car insured appropriately for business use?
BTW similar questions to yours have been asked and answered previously (many times) on AAM.

[*]Do you have Revenue agreement to pay pubic service mileage rates out of the company for the use of your car on company business?

The need for Revenue agreement for such purposes is a thing of the past, in fact the long-distance past.

Thanks ubiquitous, thats what I thought......

Mathepac, whilst the question of expenses and what you can and can't clam has come up a number of occasions on AAM, I couldn't specifically find an answer to my own question...My accountant has confirmed the above too..

So thanks everyone for taking the time to reply..

Are you charging the customer VAT on top of what your company is charging them for the expenses ?

I charge them expenses on the service I provide but not on the expenses no...