Tax on Bonus

CaraRua

Husband has earned a bonus of €33.5K. We were expecting it to be taxed at 40% giving a net amount of €19,600 approx. He got the princely sum of just over €16K. We are no tax experts - but this does seem right? He has lost more than half the bonus which we weren't expecting. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

Husband has earned a bonus of €33.5K. We were expecting it to be taxed at 40% giving a net amount of €19,600 approx. He got the princely sum of just over €16K. We are no tax experts - but this does seem right? He has lost more than half the bonus which we weren't expecting. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.
Marginal tax rate on income above €70k is 52% so sounds correct.
(40% income tax+
4% PRSI +
8% USC)

As zion has pointed out marginal rate of tax with PRSI and USC is 52% once you go over 70k. 52% for them 48% for you.

We are in the so called “squeezed middle” - it would have been nice to get just a bit more of what he earned.

We are in the so called “squeezed middle” - it would have been nice to get just a bit more of what he earned.
Just to share an option I’ve sometimes used in the past when due a bonus or back money from an employer.

I asked them to put it into my DC retirement savings scheme as an employee AVC payment.
Once it didn’t bring me over the max allowable relief for the year it meant that I got the benefit of the full sum into my retirement savings.

It also meant of course I didn’t get anything into the hand and I was down the value of PRSI and USC at the time.
Worse off in the pocket short term, better off long term.

It can also be done later (up to end of October of following year but attributed to this year) as a lump sum AVC payment and get a tax refund if within revenue limit.

Another possible route going forward (apart from the pension contribution suggestion above)- if your husband's employer offers approved profit sharing scheme, he can request that up to €12700 of the bonus is used to acquire shares under the scheme. You save PAYE on the amount contributed.

While there is no hard definition I have seen examples of the squeezed middle as having a household income of about 80k.

Just to share an option I’ve sometimes used in the past when due a bonus or back money from an employer.

I asked them to put it into my DC retirement savings scheme as an employee AVC payment.
Once it didn’t bring me over the max allowable relief for the year it meant that I got the benefit of the full sum into my retirement savings.

It also meant of course I didn’t get anything into the hand and I was down the value of PRSI and USC at the time.
Worse off in the pocket short term, better off long term.

It can also be done later (up to end of October of following year but attributed to this year) as a lump sum AVC payment and get a tax refund if within revenue limit

Your last comment about "It can also be done later" is interesting. I too had similar experience last month (not the same size bonus but taxed at the same rates). Are you saying next year or even this year I could make an AVC payment as long as it was within limit and recoup some of the tax paid on the bonus.

Furthermore I pay tax also on my short term rental income (not sure how long more is left on that train) but I have read before something similar where you can offset tax by paying towards AVC.

Your last comment about "It can also be done later" is interesting. I too had similar experience last month (not the same size bonus but taxed at the same rates). Are you saying next year or even this year I could make an AVC payment as long as it was within limit and recoup some of the tax paid on the bonus.
Yes, from experience, I’ve done it a few times.
I was paying marginal tax 40%. Made lump sum AVC payment and received a 40% tax rebate.
You must do it before end of October 2025 if you want to attribute it to this year.

Similarly, in the past for example I’d fill out online Form 11 for the previous year to include rental income.
It would indicate how much additional tax was due on the income. Then before submitting the form I would make an AVC lump sum payment to the value that eliminated the tax liability.
Then I adjusted Form 11 and submitted it.

Edit: When I say I adjusted Form 11, I included the AVC lump sum payment which I had not yet received relief on.

Relief must be within revenue limits.

I was a PAYE worker so only additional income was rental and dividends.

Last edited:
Imagine if you got to keep your whole bonus, it would be amazing, mine are a lot less, be lucky to get €2k after tax.
I can't complain, it is always put to good use and I would be lost without it.

best way to get more of it is to contribute it (or some of it) into a pension. you get all of that into the pot tax free.

It's sickening to receive a bonus and see so much taxed. What did the tax man contribute to anyones earning of a bonus. Tax some (25% maybe) but not end up where the tax man gets more than you do.
Would be great from a personal perspective but would be too open to abuse. You’d suddenly find everyone’s ‘salary’ dropping hugely and bonuses being increased to avoid tax.

Last edited:
Would be great for a personal perspective but would be too open to abuse. You’d suddenly find everyone’s ‘salary’ dropping hugely and bonuses being increased to avoid tax.
fair point. depends also on the bonus format (specified cash amount or % of salary). if its a percentage like mine then a percentage of a reduced salary would prohibit this

Back