Tax for Childminding in own home

L

Lami

Hi there

Really need some help here. I'm hoping to set up as a childminder in my own home. I know I can earn up to 15k per year tax free but what happens if I go over that? I understand I have to pay tax on the full amount. Is there any way I can calculate what that would work out at - what is the percentage tax I'd have to pay/account for prsi etc? I just need to try and work out what monthly income I'd have if I go over the 15k. I'm completely useless at understanding our tax system so any advice "for dummies" would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Lami

Yes, but I couldn't seem to find anything that showed me how to calculate my income.

There are a lot of expenses Revenue allow you to offset against your childminding income (at least 1/3 of utility bills, shopping etc, 100% of some expenses such as toys.) If you don't go too far over the 15K, and you keep records of all your expenditure, your tax due will be minimal.

Have a read of Childminding Ireland's Guide, and you can download an excel sheet from Galway County Childcare Committee http://www.galwaychildcare.com/childminders.asp

you can only get tax relief if you are notified to the HSC!! you need to provide proof of this to claim.there is a lot of paperwork involved in this. you have to do training and first aid etc. you also have to be vetted by the guards.

Back