Tax credits change

desparate

I always do our tax returns but as my husband was always down as the assessable spouse I changed it at the start of 2019 so that I was the assessable spouse, ( jointly assessed) just for ease of dealing with tax office as my husband isn’t registered online. I only noticed this year that the 3,300 tax credits were switched to me last year when I did this. I earn 16,500 a year and my husband around 63,000. Does that mean we have a lot of unused tax credits for 2019?

I regularly phone them about this. Over the phone they amend the details and send me out a new cert. Within a couple of months I then get yet another amended cert with everything defaulted back to the way it originally was. I would say that I have phoned them over 6 times in the past two years about this......drives me mad.......they say they don't know what the problem is.

Yes we have got a few different amended certs but my query is how it affects our jointly assessed tax if I as the losers earner have all the credits

Net tax credits in another amended cert that arrived this morning is Net Tax credits €6703.
If you had that much last year, you're due a refund.
Your income can only utilise 3,300 of credits (i.e your salary * 20%). That's the most you should keep. And also ensure your husband has increased tax band.

It's strange - Revenue's systems are set up to default to an optimised position for you, but there are times it goes wrong.

This happened me a few years ago, where all our credits were transferred to my wife. It turned out that my employer hadn't been submitting relevant returns to Revenue, and they assumed I wasn't working! That quickly got sorted and I left the job!

Since I went part time 10yrs ago we didn’t adjust our credits so as we would get a refund annually. I was wondering woukd we get a little more than normal with all the personal tax credit of €3,300 changed to me despite my low earnings?

You can change your credits easily online to have it right this year rather than waiting and getting a refund next year.

Back