Tax Credit Certificate 09-Incorrect one received

papervalue

I am a paye employee dealt with via dublin region south district, 85/93 lower mount street, D2.

I received 2009 certificate which is missing one figure for a particular tax credit that i got for the last 2 years and i am entitled to it in 09. Basically my credits from 08 to 09 would be same with exception of rate band.

My question to revenue are:

1. Does any one at all check them prior to posting them out.
2. Such a basic error, it should not happen- Basic Training.
3. Is any one at all in Revenue accountable.
4. How many incorrect certs are issued- I say it could be pretty high because lots of people take for granted the revenue is right.

Everyone please double check your credits received. In my case i would be paiding more tax if i did not do my own computation.

I will ring Revenue tomorrow, waste my time, wait on phone to answer, explain problem, the person answering will have to ask some one more senior as they dont know, agree its incorrect, issue new cert.

I have told my payroll department what credits to use, they will receive old cert, ring me telling me they have different info, I advise them to use my comp and wait for new cert to issue.

In conclusion revenue inefficency will lead to a few phone calls and 2 extra letter to be issued and revenue staff time.

Revenue- Please check what you post to employees.

There is no need to phone them, its much easier to write, or you can claim tax credits by text message - see Revenue.ie for details. It is up to you to claim the appropriate credits, and it isn't difficult. Its unreasonable to expect the Revenue to check them individually before issue, as with upwards of 2 million PAYE taxpayers on record, it would be impossible to issue them in time.

Just a quick question on claiming for tax credits, if we have a child (twins) in 2008, and are not co-habiting nor married when and how is the single parent tax credit claimed?

Go to Revenue site (www.revenue.ie) do search for form OP1. THat has all details.

( I tried to link it directly but cant seem to get it to work )

You do review of 2008 after year end and get tax credit for 09 added to cert from then on.

(Mods - should this be moved to taxation section now ? it's not erally an LOS issue )

By writing you could be waiting weeks/months for a reply.

My credits should be same ones used in 08 and 09- How hard is that to follow.

Bascially copying from one year to next.

The appropiate credits were being cliamed in 08 and they drop one of them in 09 issue

Its obviously an error on their part. That said, I don't see much point in phoning them, particularly as you claim that this is a waste of your time. That's why I suggested alternatives.

What about registering for the PAYE online service and adjusting credits and allowances there?

I got it amended over phone in last few minutes. From experience the phone call is the most effective method to fix some thing like this.

As anyone knows ringing revenue takes time between going through the automatic answer machine to finally getting a human on line.

A letter normally takes long time to reply to, goes missing, or ignored.

As my situtaion due to 1% levy increase etc, i will come out with less money in January and wanted it implemented in payroll system from first week of January as if not implemented i would owe back employer money each week till correct cert is issued.

Well done but I have to say I always found dealing with Revenue to be one of my better customer services experiences. They are always prompt and efficient.

Surely amending it yourself online as I suggested above would be even quicker and simpler?