Tax Clearance

phorgan

I became self employed about 3 years ago. Business has been pretty much non-existent for those 3 years, but the work was a passion of mine, I didn't want to regret not giving it a go for a few years.

But reality has set in and I am looking for a career change to a more regular job, and want to unregister from VAT.

I tried to do all my own VAT returns in those 3 years, which in hindsight as somebody who is fairly clueless about these things, was a bad idea. For these last 3 years I've only been making on average e100, many of the monthly returns and Income Tax I simply returned as "0". Pretty naive and stupid, but that's what I did.

I applied for Job Seekers Allowance and was told I needed to prove Tax Clearance. I am not concerned about getting Job Seekers or not, as I would rather get to work asap since I am paying a loan, but it has brought my tax situation to my attention that I have been ignoring for a long time, and I would like to get everything sorted and cleared so that it doesn't come back to bite me in the ass.

My questions are...

When I unregister for VAT, will I be audited for income over the last few years?

Was I making such little money that it doesn't matter? I made max 10k in the last 12 months, probably less the year previously.

Should I just make an appointment and say "This is how much money I made over x months, how much do I owe"? Is it even possible to do this? Who would I make an appointment with?

I am in the process of selling off some start up equipment which I bought at ex-VAT rate (at the time it cost me about 6k). Will I be required to pay back this VAT? I have been registered since September 2010.

Thanks.

Do you actually owe any VAT? Or income tax? Not sure that you do.

You probably shouldn't have registered for VAT in the first instance but that's spilt milk now.

Yes, you will have to charge & pay VAT on resale of any equipment on which you have claimed VAT.

If your turnover is below the VAT threshold limits, and you cancel VAT registration within 3 years of registering, and claim back more than you pay in VAT within those 3 years, you must repay the difference to Revenue. So if this affects you, its important to stay registered for longer than 3 years.

Back