tax bill settlement with insufficent funds

wheeler dealer

I have income tax bill due to be debited from my current a/c on 17/11 but I need to lodge a cheque to cover the direct debit to ros .What I am wondering would I need to lodge the cheque before the 17th like would the debit be taken from my account in the morning of 17th and it would not be honoured because of insufficent funds in a/c as the cheque might not be lodged until pm

The cheque will not be cleared until at least one, if not two days after you lodge it.

With my BOI and AIB accounts, cheque lodgements appear immediately, but I’m charged ‘clearance interest’ if I access the value.

And with ROS, the tax payments get collected a few days later.

So you should be fine, no? But perhaps lodge it today to avoid ‘clearance interest’?

It depends on where the cheque is drawn on. AIB to AIB (for example) should be cleared by COB the next day, a cheque drawn in another bank can take 7 days for it to become cleared funds to allow for it to possibly be unpaid by the drawing bank and for the physical cheque to be returned to your bank. Potentially add another couple of days to this if the cheque is drawn on a credit union or building society