Tax bill for 27 cents

Lobby

Hmm, makes you laugh really.

Got an invoice from the tax man in the post yesterday saying that I owed them 0.27 euro as a result of the October submission/payment.

Hmm, it cost them 55c to send me that invoice (ignoring any other costs), and it'll cost me 55c to reply.

Ridiculous.

Its not an invoice. Its a tax assessment. They are obliged to send it to you whether the balance is 27 million, 27 cents or nil. Would you prefer if they decided not to bother acknowledging receipt of your tax return?

You don't have to reply to it. Basic common sense would tell you that.

If you really want to reply to it, it doesn't cost you a cent as all post to Revenue can be sent marked "freepost".

If you really want to reply to it, it doesn't cost you a cent as all post to Revenue can be sent marked "freepost".
Who ultimately pays for the freepost? I doubt the postal staff give their time for free.

What do you suggest? That the Revenue should not bother acknowledging receipt of tax returns?

Who ultimately pays for the freepost? I doubt the postal staff give their time for free.

Revenue pay An Post. So, really, you are as a taxpayer. So if you put a stamp on it, you would be paying twice for it!

What do you suggest? That the Revenue should not bother acknowledging receipt of tax returns?
Yeah - imagine the moaning if they did not do this (which would be unacceptable since people need such info/documents for their own records). The original complaint is moot and not very well thought out in my opinion.

Its not an invoice. Its a tax assessment. They are obliged to send it to you whether the balance is 27 million, 27 cents or nil. Would you prefer if they decided not to bother acknowledging receipt of your tax return?

I beg to differ, I have already received an acknowledgement of my payment. This letter has a bank giro form at the bottom to enable me to pay the 27c.

I believe that balances of less than €5 are considered cleared.

I'm pretty sure acknowledgements of returns are available on ROS.

I beg to differ, I have already received an acknowledgement of my payment.
The acknowledgement of your payment is not an acknowledgement of your return. Paying a tax liability does not absolve a taxpayer from the consequences of failing to file a return.

This letter has a bank giro form at the bottom to enable me to pay the 27c.

I believe that balances of less than €5 are considered cleared.
Why then do you feel the need to reply to it?

I'm pretty sure acknowledgements of returns are available on ROS.

Plenty of taxpayers (the majority I expect) do not use ROS (although their accountants may do so on their behalf).