tax and vehicle change of ownership question

MargeSimpson

I bought a vehicle in the last 5/6 weeks and sent away the change of ownership form, which should be returned to me this week.
The vehicle had been off the road for some time but I don't know how long for and I know the tax had run out.

How do I retax it starting from Sept 2nd (when I sent form) and not pay tax for when I didn't own it. Hope that's clear?

There is some form that you can get and the Gardai then stamp it for you stating that the car was off the road. Drop into them and ask them!

See this link. Tells you what form you need to get signed.

[broken link removed]

teddyk

afaik, the above mentioned form to be stamped by Gardai only applies when there is no change of ownership.

When there is a change of ownership, i think you have to use Form [broken link removed].

There is a section about Past Owner Period (from ??? to 02/09/2007 in your case) to be filled in. So, you have no tax liability for untaxed period prior to acquisition date.

More info here about change of ownerhsip and motor tax.
Enjoy your new toy.

thanks all - didn't realise the gardai would be brought into this - not that I have anything to hide!!
It seems the RF100a applies when, "There is a change of owner details (not ownership)".
No matter, I'm on the right track.

Did it myself 2 weeks ago. No garda signature required for untaxed period when changed ownership. Just went to motor tax office and filled out normal renewal form with section for change of owner, and paid renewal from date i got the car, no problem.

Excellent! Thanks runner.
Now I just have to wait for the cert to come back, apparently the office in Shannon is swamped and when I rang to follow up they had sent it to the wrong address. :rolleyes: Waiting approx 5 weeks now!

Back