Tax after sick leave

beachy2024

Hi,
I was on sick leave, on state illness benefit. I paid the higher rate of tax before this.
If I take a new job this year will I get tax back in my salary if I have over paid tax or do i have to claim it back next year with a p21 balancing statement?

So if i paid the 40% tax rate for 5 months, then on illness benefit for 4 months (I know I will owe tax for this at the end of the year). If i start a new job now I will have the tax credits for the 4 months I wasn't working.. but my question is will my taxes automatically get balanced (for the first 10 months of the year) in my first pay check?
the reason I ask is, if i get the tax back in my first pay check I will have to pay revenue back tax at the end of the year because illness benefit isn't taxed at source.

Thank you

If you start a job your employer should do the necessary for your remaining tax credits for the year to be applied to your salary via payroll. You can, and probably should, also declare your welfare payments via myAccount and then everything should balance out over the rest of the year. I thought that such welfare payments were already notified from social welfare to Revenue? Mine was when I was on illness benefit for a while in recent years. Even though no tax etc. was deducted at source.

No, under PAYE modernisation, that's now the employee's job. They can do so on MyAccount or by phoning Revenue.
That's not what Revenue themselves say...

That's not how it works though. The employer has neither control nor visibility over the contents of the RPN.

If there are any complications in the year-to-date record (as there are here) it's up to the employee to iron these out with Revenue. The employer has function to "do the necessary" apart from pressing a button to download the RPN.

No hair splitting, merely suggesting the OP should act proactively to discover and resolve any latent issues.