Tata motor company - feedback on vehicles?

snuffle

Just wondering if anyone has any feedback on what Tata vehicles are like to run?

They seem like great value for money, but seeing as there are very few dealers in Ireland has anyone found it difficult to get parts/service, and what are they like in general to drive - does the cheaper price correlate to a cheaper "standard" of vehicle - are they prone to many faults/problems etc? Any feedback appreciated - in particular I'm looking at the "safari" model...

Is it just that they are an Indian company and have very few Irish dealers that there are so few Tata vehicles on the road? Or is there another more obvious reason (like unreliability/prone to faults etc.) that they are just not sought after by the general public?

Just looking into buying a new vehicle and these seem like great value for money at first glance, all thoughts appreciated!

Snuffle, I was myself loooking at buying the Saffari model at the start of this year. I too could not find any feedback on the Tata's performance so i gave it a miss. I saw the Tata in Laois, Mountrath in a friends Dealership. They could not convince me to part with my cash so to me that set off alarm bells.

As you guys are probably aware, Tata are an Indian manufacturer. In fact Tata are still a family owned corporation, which started out in cars, and moved into pretty much everything else (building, mobile phone networks etc). They are probably the best known Company/family in the whole of India. Their cars/trucks are the most popular, and are everywhere.
That said, they are useless pieces of junk!
I used one (with Driver, thank god) driving from Mumbai to Pune a few weeks back, and they were woeful. That said, they are the best truck available in India (best of bad bunch).

Unlike in India however, they will depreciate like a stone over here.

might sound like good value new, but expect massive depreciation (at least 75% over 3 years)

Tata vehicles are Tonka toy tough but unrefined and undesirable.
The qualities Indians look for are low running costs and reliability so that is where Tata shine but they're not at all nice to own.

Didn't they produce the city Rover? Part of the reason Rover went to the wall was because it was reduced to peddling rubbish like that.

Tata Indica is a Rover CityRover - not a bad car. Was driven around Bangalore in one for a month. No comparisson between it and a modern european supermini though.

Thanks for responses - general feeling is they're priced low for a reason then! back to the drawing board for me so...