"Taste of Dublin"

Merlin

Hi there,
I went to the "Taste of Dublin" on Friday after friends told me how good it was last year. I must say that I was really dissapointed adn found it a total rip off and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Paid 25 Euro for the ticket, which entitles you to nothing but entry to the grounds and you can attend a cooking demonstration if you are lucky enough to get a seat. You then have to pay between 7 and 8 Euro for every dish you would like to taste and what you get is not enough to fill that old tooth in the back of your mouth. If you fancy a glass of wine to make up for lack of food you have to shell out 6 Euro for what would probably be half a glass of wine in any restaurant.
Might I add that I also wasn't overly impressed with the food that I did eat.
I was somehow under the impression that this event was to showcase food and to allow people to get to know some well known restaurants hopefully with the result they would want to visit them ? Instead it seemed the only intent was to rake in the money.
Am I wrong ?
M.

Hi there,

I was somehow under the impression that this event was to showcase food and to allow people to get to know some well known restaurants hopefully with the result they would want to visit them ? Instead it seemed the only intent was to rake in the money.
Am I wrong ?
M.

yes IMO.........you don't get anything for nothing these days but for the entry price alone you got lots a little free tasters and got to see other demonstrations. I thought the food on offer was excellent value, you'd probably need to eat at 3-4 different places before you are full but i thought it was great value. Did you not realise you had to pay for the food?

Hi woodseb,
I did realise that you had to pay for the food alright but I would have expected some value for money I suppose ? And did you really think the food was good ? I thought the Unicorn dishes were nice but was very dissapointed with most of the other stuff we had. As for free samples - I got a free toothpaste and a piece of cheese.

M.

I went on Friday evening and the rain stayed off. I only had to purchase two courses (one from Jaipur, which was huge) and the second from the Unicorn (which was also a decent portion). Many of the wines could be had for €4. There were also a fair few free samples, had rashers, sausages, pudding, cider, lots of cheese, salmon crostini type things, chocolate, etc.....and lots more.

I did not go last year, but have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it too. I had a free ticket and €20 Florins so that helped. I managed to get quite a few free glasses of wine just by talking to the people running the stands.

It was very expensive compared to the tastefest in the RDS in March and I'm not sure if the meals were worth the price given the tiny portions.

Hi woodseb,
I did realise that you had to pay for the food alright but I would have expected some value for money I suppose ? And did you really think the food was good ?

M.

i thought the food was excellent, i ate at diep, chapt 1, the mill, and king sitric and was thoroughly satisfied after spending about e25 on food. Considering what a normal dish in any of these restraurants would cost ie 25 upwards, i though the 6-7 euro for about a quarter portion was fair...also if you paid for the 40 euro ticket you got 20 quid of vouchers for 15 euro

as for freebies there was free coffee, cheese, bread, sausages, bacon...

I hvae to say we went last year year and were bitterly disapointed with the whole thing - it was also a bday pressie for mr bear and I bought premium tickets!! Never again we vowed - with what we had spent there we would have have eaten in chapter one and had an amazing night...

I was so agreved I robbed some of their glasses from the premuim bar...

The best of it was that I fell out of Dublin Castle - leets just say Mr. BEar and I were quite intoxicated!!!

I had a complete set - 2 crystal glasses, one under each arm - and 2 in my bag...
Mr Bear "Tripped" on the footpath - I reached over to picck him up and dropped one of the glasses!!!
Now I have only 3:(

as for freebies there was free coffee, cheese, bread, sausages, bacon...

How can you describe these as freebies? You paid €25 to get in the door....

I steered well clear of Taste Of Dublin this year after last years event. While the idea is fantastic, in my opinion there was no value for money to be had there at all.

It was especially disappointing when you think that these restaurants were "showcasing" themselves, presumably in an effort to attract new customers.

Went on the Sat and was in the VIP tent so 4 drinks €50 worth of vouchers and entry into Lillies.Only problem was the queues for the food. Tried Bon Aptite, diep, Dobbins and a few others. Portions were small but after about 4 was enough. Tried all the new beers and tried all the samples.

To many people there why dont they make it one way instead of punters going around in different directions. Did not get to the wine tasting lecture but drank enough of it at the other stalls

Good day out rain held off but was grim but did not spoil the day

Will defo go next year

I would have thought that small portions were necessary so you can sample from a few different restaurants? Maybe the price per dish needs to come down then...

Thought i was excellent value - Entry fee of €25 is very reasonable when you think of the cost of staging an event like that - Had loads of free samples as well a paying for several! Excellent atmosphere and a excellent day out overall - maybe you just got unlucky!!

Back