Taste of Dublin - experiences?

RMCF

I am looking for some info on this festival from those that may have been to it before.

My wife loves all the foody progs on TV and I'd like to take her to this - is it worth the cost of travelling from the NW and staying in a city centre hotel for a night?

Is it expensive when actually at it?

Anythoughts welcomed.

I went to Taste of Cork last year and it was a fantastic day out. Very expensive though - I can't remember how much I spent but I reckon it was around €100 between food, drink and bits to take home. Lovely atmosphere - loads of different stalls, cookery demos, live music. A very different sort of experience - I would highly recommend it.

Two years ago it wasn't great but last year it was really good as it was much bigger (and wasn't raining the night I went). I'm only going this year if I get free tickets again as I think it's too expensive.

I went last year and really enjoyed it. But it is expensive, my other half enjoyed it but i dont think he thought it was worth it. I'd go again and I might just try to persuade him this year....It didnt rain last year when i was there but if it did i'm sure it would have been a washout.

I might give it a go then, as much to get a night away.

It will be expensive but lets hope the sun is out.

How do you get free tickets by the way???

I was at a taste feast in the RDS before with the family and it cost a fortune,over rated and each portion was about e a pop,this should be about tasting new food and advertising your product but these people see it as a way of making money ,not knowing that they are shooting themselves in the foot. I was at a food fare before abroad and you paid 20 euro in and got about 30 vouchers for and a family of 5 cost 60 euro,Ireland rip of once again

Now looking for a fairly central hotel for the Fri/Sat night.

Anyone care to recommend one that won't cost the earth?

I've been to the Cork and Dublin versions. I preferred Cork purely because the setting was nicer (IMHO) and definitely more spacious. I agree with other posters though, a lot of it is very overpriced, it's certainly not a value-for-money day out. All-in-all though, its worth the experience.

OK folks got a hotel booked for the Fri/Sat. So its on for the Taste of Dublin.

I now have another question.

The tickets are €25 per day if you book in advance, according to the website. But there's a booking fee of €3.50 !! This just brings it up to the price that it costs to get in at the gate - silly of course, but I am wondering if there is ANY chance of NOT getting in at the gate? I don't want to travel to Dublin and then find out that it is sold out.

Does anyone know if there is a limited number of people allowed into the gardens for the show?

And is the 'currency' used just €1 = 1 whatever?

Just for info for others that may be interested next year, I attended this on Saturday and it really was a good day out, if rather expensive.

It did help of course that the weather was perfect for it.

There's plenty of free samples of food and drink, and if you push yourself you could get enough to save you from buying your own!!, but if you do decide to buy some food or drink it tends to be very pricey, especially the signature dishes from the 'top' restaurants. I did buy a couple of these and they were scandalous for what you got, but since I am someone who would never be able to afford to go to these restaurants for a full meal, I wanted to see what I would be missing.

And just seeing the massive crowd milling around all day at €28.50 each for entry (at least) made me realise how much of a money-spinner it must be.

But overall a good deal out and worth experiencing at least once.

Ya - i reckon that the whole idea of florins being non-refundable was a bit of a scam by the organisers.

Ya - i reckon that the whole idea of florins being non-refundable was a bit of a scam by the organisers.

Couldn't agree more, and couldn't understand why they were refundable, other than to simply rip off the public.

After all, when I got them I handed in cash, so that cash was there somewhere, and could easily have been handed back in exchange.

Instead, I found myself with 12 florins left at the end, and taking the 1st bottle of wine I seen just so that I didn't waste €12 !!

Back